Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

A good read this. I found it whilst snooping around on another forum :)

THCA: The Real Reason You Should Be Eating Raw Cannabis

Have you ever tried raw cannabis juice or a smoothie? Fresh, uncured, and unheated cannabis is rich in compounds called cannabinoid acids. Unlike the heated, cured, and aged stuff, cannabinoid acids do not get you high. Rather, they provide a whole lot of health benefit without any change in consciousness. THCA is one of the most abundant cannabinoid acids, often totaling up to 20 percent of the bud. Here’s what you need to know about THCA and what it might benefit.

What is tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA)?

Most people familiar with cannabis know that the herb is commonly smoked. After an especially long day, there’s nothing quite like coming home to a little cannabis. Smoking flower or dabbing concentrates, however, are limited, though lovely, ways to enjoy the herb.

As it turns out, there may be some benefit to raw cannabis. Raw cannabis is cannabis that has been uncured and unheated. When fresh and unheated, the resin glands (trichomes) of the cannabis plant are rich in compounds called cannabinoid acids.

One of the most abundant is tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA), which is the precursor to the famous psychoactive, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Fresh cannabis that is not heated and has not been aged does not contain much THC – if any at all. Instead, the cannabinoid present on the cannabis plant as THCA. THCA is considered non-psychoactive, meaning that it does not cause a “high” when you consume or inhale the cannabinoid.

In order to experience a psychoactive high from cannabis, the bud or leaves need to be heated. Heat stimulates a process called decarboxylation, in which temperature transforms THCA into the more famous compound, THC. It’s THC that has the mind-altering effects, not THCA. THC is a breakdown product of THCA.

Unfortunately, most of the research on cannabis has focused on psychoactive THC. However, in recent years, raw cannabis has become significantly more trendy

What is THCA good for?

There is much research to be done on THCA. As things stand now, however, preclinical research has uncovered a wide variety of potential uses for THCA. THCA has demonstrated a wide variety of beneficial effects on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The endocannabinoid system has been described as the largest neurotransmitter network in the body.

According to one source, THCA has a wider variety of effects on the ECS than both THC and CBD. Some of these roles include anti-spasmodic effects, anticonvulsant effects, anti-insomnia effects, and is reported to be immune supportive.

However, there is slightly more substantial evidence that THCA may hold potential in the following areas:

1. Anti-cancer

One way to evaluate the potential of cannabinoids is to know what these compounds do for the cannabis plant. Raw THCA has been found to produce necrosis in plant cells, which means that the cannabinoid seems to help the plant prune off dead or dying cells.

The human immune system has similar functions, inducing what is called “programmed cell death” when cells become too damaged, aged, or diseased. In cancer cells, this programmed cell death malfunctions. This means that diseased cells fail to die when they are supposed to, and they continue to proliferate.

One 2013 study in cell cultures and animal models found that THCA inhibited the proliferation of prostate cancer cells. This fits in line with additional research which has found that cannabinoids, in general, seem to express anti-proliferative effects in various forms of cancer.

In the majority of pre-clinical studies (cell cultures and animal models) have shown that THC, not THCA, seems to have the most potent effects on cancer cells. Yet, with its necrosis-promoting characteristics in the plant itself, this anti-inflammatory cannabinoid is speculated to potentially contribute to a healthy environment inside the body.

This potentially includes cancer prevention, through high-quality scientific studies are sorely needed.

2. Insecticide

To the cannabis plant, cannabinoids act as an external immune and defense system. Researchers speculate that THCA is a natural insecticide, repelling unwanted predators.

Though most people heat their cannabis products, this is a good reason to consider adding some raw cannabis oil to a skin cream to repel summertime pests. This also might give THCA a future in pest management products.

3. Anti-inflammatory

Like many of the over 113 cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, THCA is considered a potent anti-inflammatory. As an anti-inflammatory, THCA has a wide variety of potential uses. Inflammation is thought to be one of the root problems of modern disease.

Though a little inflammation is a healthy response to stress, accident, injury, or illness, systemic inflammation is speculated to contribute to everything from depression to autoimmune diseases

4. Neuroprotective antioxidant

The U.S. Federal Government already admits that cannabinoids are neuroprotective antioxidants. Yet, using cannabis to keep your brain healthy is not a trend that has readily been passed down to everyone. Research shows that cannabis does not have to be psychoactive to reap this potent antioxidant potent. Raw THCA is an antioxidant, too.

An antioxidant is a compound that helps neutralize harmful compounds called free radicals. Free radicals are pollutants and toxins that are thought to contribute to a host of medical problems, including aging.

Preclinical research from 2012 has found that THCA seems to somehow neutralize harmful neurotoxins that contribute to Parkinson’s Disease. Though research has yet to be thoroughly completed, this is a good sign that THCA may one day be useful in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.

5. Anti-emetic

It’s not uncommon for patients and cannabis-fans alike to turn to the herb for relief from a bad stomach ache or a bout of vomiting. As luck might have it, raw cannabis may be a helpful nausea-fighter as well.

Early research suggests that THCA is an anti-emetic, which means that those experiencing nausea, vomiting, and appetite loss may not have to get high to find symptom relief.

6. Analgesic

Though it’s a bit early to say, preclinical research has discovered that THCA seems to engage with a key type of cell receptor that contributes to the ability to feel and experience pain.

Research has found that, somehow, THCA seems to act on the TRPA1 receptor. This receptor part of what enables humans and animals to respond to environmental irritants like pain, temperature, and itching sensation.

If early research is any indication, raw cannabis and THCA may be especially appreciated by those with painful muscle cramping and tension conditions. Not only is there some evidence that THCA can reduce pain, bit it is also expected to calm muscle spasms.

How do you use THCA?

To get the most out of THCA, many consumers juice or blend raw cannabis leaves and/or bud. To draw from Dr. William Courtney, ingesting raw cannabis means that consumers can take in over 1,000 times more beneficial cannabinoid acids than they can when consuming psychoactive THC.

Some argue that activated THC is actually more bioavailable (usable) for the body, which is why it takes so little to produce beneficial effects. Yet, in anecdotal cases, many medical cannabis patients find incorporating raw cannabis into their diet a useful addition to other treatments.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 9 others like this

#2 jimmi2scoops

jimmi2scoops

Drinking, debauchery, shouting obsenities across bar is my game

• Moderators
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationMoon

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

So if i get some weed outa freezer that just got slung in after chop, thaw it and juice it, would ya class that as fresh with thca in still ? i would think so myself cus veggies hold freshness when frozen asap after chop dont they.

Nice one Chew by the way. :)

• Dekay, duke, Roy Cropper and 8 others like this

#3 rasputin

rasputin

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

yeah jim

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 7 others like this

#4 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Administrators
  • 11,670 posts
  • LocationI am here

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

I have a couple of fruit/veg smoothies a day could add a popcorn bud from now on I think, saying that the leaves can be very good for you too fresh :)

• jimmi2scoops, Petal, Solo Quin and 6 others like this

#5 Solo Quin

Solo Quin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationIn your bush

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:53 PM

I always thought fresh cannabis would be more beneficial interesting read, here's a youtube channel you might like    Nyishar.

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, Petal and 5 others like this

#6 Dutchy

Dutchy

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

Great read Chew, thanks for posting :)

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, Petal and 5 others like this

#7 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 2,457 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:51 AM

very interesting indeed. nothing goes to waste with the good old cannabis plant

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, Solo Quin and 6 others like this

#8 Cheeseman

Cheeseman

boerenkaas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationNext door

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Bud pesto 🤤
  • Dekay, Petal, Solo Quin and 5 others like this

#9 Masterpyro139

Masterpyro139

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

It goes to show the future potential of the plant through different stages. Just think of how far we have all come in knowledge, certainly me over the last couple years I have researched a lot, what's made it so much better and quicker to learn is the availability of the research from others who have posted online in one way or another.

I wonder how far we can all truly go with this plant? A very long way I think!
  • duke, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#10 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 7,209 posts
  • Locationsouth east england

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

It goes to show the future potential of the plant through different stages. Just think of how far we have all come in knowledge, certainly me over the last couple years I have researched a lot, what's made it so much better and quicker to learn is the availability of the research from others who have posted online in one way or another.

hi yes the research is getting done now slowly but surely and the more we find out the deeper the link between the chasm of lost knowledge is getting smaller,i say lost because at one time america in particular had a vast untapped knowledge of cannabis medicines 1876 pharmacopea from us has lots of info we are only just refinding out now as after it was made illegal any research or details of its use as meds was hidden/destroyed i am certain we shall find many more uses for it in both humans and animal medicine i am currently helping a very good friend treat his dog for lymphoma (8 yr old lab helper dog)and though its very early days i can say for sure it has improved appetite and the dog has a waggy tail is bright eyed and lively as ever,a month ago it could not eat and was close to dehydration so of to a good start,fingers crossed,peace

• The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops, Dex and 2 others like this

#11 Masterpyro139

Masterpyro139

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

hi yes the research is getting done now slowly but surely and the more we find out the deeper the link between the chasm of lost knowledge is getting smaller,i say lost because at one time america in particular had a vast untapped knowledge of cannabis medicines 1876 pharmacopea from us has lots of info we are only just refinding out now as after it was made illegal any research or details of its use as meds was hidden/destroyed i am certain we shall find many more uses for it in both humans and animal medicine i am currently helping a very good friend treat his dog for lymphoma (8 yr old lab helper dog)and though its very early days i can say for sure it has improved appetite and the dog has a waggy tail is bright eyed and lively as ever,a month ago it could not eat and was close to dehydration so of to a good start,fingers crossed,peace

I agree there duke, who knows what they found out and destroyed and how long it will take to gather back all knowledge plus more. But they say everything happens for a reason... Maybe it's all about the timing. And the people.

I hope the labrador turns out okay, please keep us updated on how that all goes. I wish you the very best of luck my friend.

Edited by Masterpyro139, 20 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

• duke, Dutchy and Chew like this

#12 Dutchy

Dutchy

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

YO Pyro Bloke :) , some great threads in TGC, which have some really cool videos in, one is in medical marihuana section, the other is called    thats interesting, or    now thats interesting, one or the other, some great stuff in there too  :)

• duke, Masterpyro139 and Chew like this

#13 Dutchy

Dutchy

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hello Fella, out of interest , how does one treat a dog with canna, same principles, oral hidden in food?  but much reduced dosages ?

• jimmi2scoops, duke, Masterpyro139 and 1 other like this

#14 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 7,209 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

Hello Fella, out of interest , how does one treat a dog with canna, same principles, oral hidden in food?  but much reduced dosages ?

hi dutchy from the research thats been done in the states and via a friend in spain we have worked out that canines have more cannabinoid receptors than humans and a minute dose of the oil is sufficient for a medium size dog we have started at very low dose mixed in the food 40mg to start and see what effect this has if the dog appears happy and can walk straight you have it about right,if they are wobbly and very sleepy you gone to high,good old trial and error really but some obvious criteria are the body mass of the dog ie large dog needs bigger dose,as said its early days and may not reduce the cancer at this late stage but will for sure reduce pain and cause better appetite which can only help imo i just wish this knowledge had been around 10 years ago when our beloved staffie bandit had lymphoma and had to be put to sleep it was one of the saddest days of my life that was burying my best mate.peace

• Dutchy, Madmungo, Masterpyro139 and 1 other like this

#15 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

hi dutchy from the research thats been done in the states and via a friend in spain we have worked out that canines have more cannabinoid receptors than humans and a minute dose of the oil is sufficient for a medium size dog we have started at very low dose mixed in the food 40mg to start and see what effect this has if the dog appears happy and can walk straight you have it about right,if they are wobbly and very sleepy you gone to high,good old trial and error really but some obvious criteria are the body mass of the dog ie large dog needs bigger dose,as said its early days and may not reduce the cancer at this late stage but will for sure reduce pain and cause better appetite which can only help imo i just wish this knowledge had been around 10 years ago when our beloved staffie bandit had lymphoma and had to be put to sleep it was one of the saddest days of my life that was burying my best mate.peace

I would think 40mg would blow their head off? Not that i have any experience with treating animals though. I would knock a mixture up with olive oil and leave it in a syringe and just do a few drops per time and see how they react.  

I have a freind who can only just about handle an 80:1 cap  :rofl1:

• jimmi2scoops, duke, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#16 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 7,209 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I would think 40mg would blow their head off? Not that i have any experience with treating animals though. I would knock a mixture up with olive oil and leave it in a syringe and just do a few drops per time and see how they react.  

its a large dog chew and 20mg made no difference to it i could see and if its any chance we need to get as much in as we can as fast as we can without causing distress to the poor thing as believe me i have first hand experience of an animal overdose when we accidently fed leftovers from dinner made in the oil pot with about a gram or so of oil residue in a stew and tina forgot and fed it to our gizmo and mrfugly,it was horrible and mrfugly was clearly baked out of his skull and could not put one foot in front of the other without landing on his face and i spent hours just holding his head up and trying to calm him as he was seeing things and doing scooby doo legs trying to get away!since then i been so careful as to ensuring it never happens again,i just have to keep an eye on tina as she getting older and more forgetful lately and nearly fed gizmo hash cookies a while ago!

theres not much info out there on treating canines with cannabis i found a little info on a dispensary website and a little via my pal in spain who has used it for dogs with some good results esp for cancer and arthritis at there social club,i just pray i never have to try it for real with my hounds as last time truly broke my heart its like loosing a kid,peace

• The Dude Abides, Marc, Dutchy and 3 others like this

#17 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationA place you got to be brough up in to live

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

@duke mate I know it's not funny but read back from the part you mentioned scooby doo mate I've got tears running down my chops (my imagination is awsome) I could see the cartoon image in my mind.... glad the two little wreck heads are OK mate lol
  • jimmi2scoops, duke, Marc and 2 others like this

#18 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

@duke mate I know it's not funny but read back from the part you mentioned scooby doo mate I've got tears running down my chops (my imagination is awsome) I could see the cartoon image in my mind.... glad the two little wreck heads are OK mate lol

Me too mate. I didnt say anything as i didnt want you all to think i was being an uncaring knobhead. But parts did make me laugh, sorry Duke

• jimmi2scoops, duke, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#19 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationA place you got to be brough up in to live

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

uncaring knobhead ..
@Chew fcuking quality bro 😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Dutchy and Chew like this

#20 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 7,209 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

Me too mate. I didnt say anything as i didnt want you all to think i was being an uncaring knobhead. But parts did make me laugh, sorry Duke

it was funny afterwards and we both laugh about it now but at the time esp as we had not had mrfugly all that long so didnt know him well and believe me 30 kilos of terrified dog with legs of jelly jumping about and snapping at his visions was very scary! peace

• Dutchy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thca

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.