Photo
- - - - -

Best way to silence an extraction fan

Best Answer Anonymiss , 25 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

What's making the noise, the fan or the air emerging from the outlet?

The latter can be reduced by putting the carbon filter on the outlet rather than the inlet, although this will increase the inlet noise.

Perhaps use two?

egg trays

These might be useful for quitening reflected sound, but they don't have much mass so they might not be much use for blocking transmiited noise/vibrations (mass and isolation are the key words here).

As a substitute, look around for some acoustic damping material - Not the stuff that goes in corners to reduce bass or on walls to reduce reflections, though, but the (sorbothane?) mats used to line speakers or as isolation pads. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

So guys what`s best way of lowering noise of my extraction fan DIY or bought, but i do like DIY. So my fan is attached to cieling with about 3dt of ducting through a hole into loft, i only have one bend in the duct so were good their, but my ducting is just the cheapo non accoustic type, so bearing that in mind would be quiet it down a bit adding accoustic ductinmg instead ? Oh and my idea for reducing fan noise a little, no laughing  :lol:  cus i seen this on some crazy tv programme when they made an recording studio in a bedroom, might have been a film, feck knows tbh :) Well anyhow i know egg man at farm and i can get loadsa egg trays so my thinking is sling some of those glued around a big box and just stick that fekker over my extraction fan, any good or not ? cheers people. :)

• duke, Solo Quin, Joe and 1 other like this

#2 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Big cardboard box and a old duvet mate hang with bungies and instant silent fan
  • 2scoops, duke, Solo Quin and 2 others like this

#3 Chew

Chew

BioBomber

• Respected User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

I made a box out of 18mm MDF. Filled it with old duvet and shit. It does work but you can still hear the fucker.

• 2scoops, duke, Roy Cropper and 4 others like this

#4 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

Moving the boxed fan into the loft would be an idea aswell

#5 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:19 PM   Best Answer

The latter can be reduced by putting the carbon filter on the outlet rather than the inlet, although this will increase the inlet noise.

Perhaps use two?

egg trays

These might be useful for quitening reflected sound, but they don't have much mass so they might not be much use for blocking transmiited noise/vibrations (mass and isolation are the key words here).

As a substitute, look around for some acoustic damping material - Not the stuff that goes in corners to reduce bass or on walls to reduce reflections, though, but the (sorbothane?) mats used to line speakers or as isolation pads.

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

hi jimmy mines made from old cord carpet thick as possible wrapped around the rvk and around the ducting and all bound up with a thick layer of gorilla tape my mate has his rvk in a suitcase stuffed with carpet and rockwool and it just looks like luggage on top of a wardrobe and being a old fashioned wood and leather job it work very well and clever i thought,i cannot do that though because i have my res on top the drobe so my rvk is on the back outside the drobe and was fecking loud!the new bigger drobe is great the only noise you hear is a slight rush of air but the wood is bulletproof thick and silences all the rvk noise far better as its a solid back as well imo noise is not reduced to any great benefit with acoustic ducting and it costs more than i am able to afford,good luck

• 2scoops, Solo Quin, Joe and 1 other like this

#7 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I made a box out of 18mm MDF. Filled it with old duvet and shit. It does work but you can still hear the fucker.

I might look into that with egg box thing too, cheers chew.

Moving the boxed fan into the loft would be an idea aswell

Yes when i was building the room that was my plan, but i`m a big oaf and not reyt agile and same applies to beszt mate and only gujy i trust with things likew this. Cheers BC. :)

Perhaps use two?

As a substitute, look around for some acoustic damping material - Not the stuff that goes in corners to reduce bass or on walls to reduce reflections, though, but the (sorbothane?) mats used to line speakers or as isolation pads.

It`s no biggi noise coming out into loft, which is why i shoulda put the fan in their to start, but well tis what it is atmo. :)

It`s only for one more grow cus both my filter and fan are on their last legs, so i really need to get myself new of both before i do another grow really, so i`m thinking of upgrading to a 6inch fan and filter which should then cope with temps using a 600hps in that room during summer, but yes i`ll take a ganders at that stuff, thanks. :)

hi jimmy mines made from old cord carpet thick as possible wrapped around the rvk and around the ducting and all bound up with a thick layer of gorilla tape my mate has his rvk in a suitcase stuffed with carpet and rockwool and it just looks like luggage on top of a wardrobe and being a old fashioned wood and leather job it work very well and clever i thought,i cannot do that though because i have my res on top the drobe so my rvk is on the back outside the drobe and was fecking loud!the new bigger drobe is great the only noise you hear is a slight rush of air but the wood is bulletproof thick and silences all the rvk noise far better as its a solid back as well imo noise is not reduced to any great benefit with acoustic ducting and it costs more than i am able to afford,good luck

Yes tbh it`s duke i think i`ll knock summink up similar till i got some dosh for another fan n filter, Sweet mate. :)

• duke, Solo Quin, Joe and 1 other like this

#8 Viz

Viz

Thirsty for knowledge

• Hidden Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Of course the best way to have a silent fan is to power it off... :ban:  :beer:

• 2scoops, duke, Solo Quin and 3 others like this

#9 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

Of course the best way to have a silent fan is to power it off... :ban: :beer:

Theres always fucking one aint they...
  • duke, Solo Quin, Joe and 2 others like this

#10 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Of course the best way to have a silent fan is to power it off... :ban:  :beer:

I didn`t think of that, thanks you comic :joint:

• Mrs Willy, duke, Solo Quin and 3 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.