Photo
- - - - -

Best way to silence an extraction fan

Best Answer Anonymiss , 25 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

What's making the noise, the fan or the air emerging from the outlet?

The latter can be reduced by putting the carbon filter on the outlet rather than the inlet, although this will increase the inlet noise.

Perhaps use two?

egg trays

These might be useful for quitening reflected sound, but they don't have much mass so they might not be much use for blocking transmiited noise/vibrations (mass and isolation are the key words here).

As a substitute, look around for some acoustic damping material - Not the stuff that goes in corners to reduce bass or on walls to reduce reflections, though, but the (sorbothane?) mats used to line speakers or as isolation pads. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Joe

Joe

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Think I read somewhere jim about putting the fan inside a box filled with Styrofoam, atb on your quest jim
  • 2scoops, duke and Solo Quin like this

#12 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Yes it looks like it`s sorbathane just looking at it now @Anonymiss. :)

Yes i read that in past too, but im liking dense factor reduces it, so i`m gonna go with carpet and eggboxes, i might even let it be, but fan is on it`s last legs and sounds like a jumbo jet taking off, i swear neighbours must think i got washing machine on all time or summink like lol. Cheers @Joe. :)

• duke, Solo Quin and Joe like this

#13 Viz

Viz

Thirsty for knowledge

• Hidden Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

I am sorry, it has been a long long day out in the sun. Have been forced to sample my own products this afternoon. The joys of having a beer garden outside.

Jokes aside - I used these to good success before. 

POLYSTYRENE BEAN BAG BEADS FILLING REFILL TOP UP  https://www.amazon.c...styrofoam balls

But most of the time the biggest noise is actually the air moving through the ducting. Keep the ducting as straight as you can and it will be way quieter. Acoustic ducting works well too.

• 2scoops, Solo Quin, Joe and 1 other like this

#14 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

I am sorry

So  you should be lol :party:

I am sorry, it has been a long long day out in the sun. Have been forced to sample my own products this afternoon. The joys of having a beer garden outside.

Jokes aside - I used these to good success before. 

POLYSTYRENE BEAN BAG BEADS FILLING REFILL TOP UP  https://www.amazon.c...styrofoam balls

But most of the time the biggest noise is actually the air moving through the ducting. Keep the ducting as straight as you can and it will be way quieter. Acoustic ducting works well too.

Cool yes thanks for idea, i here you on ducting too, but tis only like 2 or 3 ft long max with one 90 degree bend into loft, but i do know that stuff can get noisey, nice one Viz. :thumbsup:

• Solo Quin, Joe and Bubonik Chronic like this

#15 Viz

Viz

Thirsty for knowledge

• Hidden Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

jimmi what size fan are you using mate?

• 2scoops and duke like this

#16 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

It`s 5inch atmo, but its just not cutting in  their and i`m gonna be upgrading come winter to a 6 inch one then i can wang a proper 600hps in their to do some dammage fattening those fatty buds up. :)

• duke, Solo Quin, Joe and 2 others like this

#17 Viz

Viz

Thirsty for knowledge

• Hidden Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Missus keeps asking me to upgrade to a 10 inch.  :angry:  :D

• 2scoops, Solo Quin and Bubonik Chronic like this

#18 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Missus keeps asking me to upgrade to a 10 inch.  :angry:  :D

I first wrote in last post i got a 5incher before thinking hmmmm it`s not that big, so started over lol. :lol:

• Solo Quin, Joe and bigbadbillybob like this

#19 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

diy mdf and fill box with rubber underlay ive tried all sorts but this is best thickest mdf you can,

acoustic ducting works wonders for wooshing sound just make sure to use over 1.5 m or it dont work
  • 2scoops, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#20 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

I used to have a mdf box, filled with loft insulation which helped, but most of the noise comes from the air whooshing thru the ducting.

I always fancied tryin the smooth ducting, you know the solid stuff, but never actually got my arse into grear enough to try it

• 2scoops, Solo Quin and Joe like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.