24 replies to this topic

#1 Stoney

Stoney

Squisher

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

I have been making oil this way and have had great success and positive feedback on the quality. most oils are made with a flammable solvent, this recipe uses a food grade non-toxic solvent that can be safely made right in your kitchen. this oil will mix well with any food or liquid. it will quickly be absorbed into your body and effects are felt within 10-20 minutes. the main ingredient is food grade propylene glycol 

here is a photo of the tools i use, of coarse almost everything can be substituted for what you may have on hand. along with these things i also use a small oven, a small sauce pan with water, and a stove top.

gallery_1384_593_3077272.jpg

so here is my process with times and temps. i have been making it in batches using ten grams of dried cured bud. remember when making any concentrate, good in equals good out so use the best stuff you have.

i start with ten grams of bud evenly ground and decarb it in a toaster oven. i put the herb in a pyrex dish that the lid seals pretty good when the lid is nested in the bowl.. aluminum foil or other containers can be used, just make sure it is sealed and oven safe.

gallery_1384_593_9178.jpg

i decarb the ganja for one hour at 115C/240*F... i have tried other temps and times but this is the one i like/trust the best.... and i didn't trust the knob on my oven, i actually put a thermometer that i trust in the oven to make the temp is perfectly 115C/240F.

once the bud is fully decarboxylated i take it out of the pyrex dish and put it in a mason jar, a wide mouth half pint works perfect. i then add fifty milliliters of propylene glycol (food grade or better). i then seal the mason jar with the lid and place it in a small pot of water that is around 77C/170* F (just under boiling, when you can start to see small bubbles on the bottom) i also put an extra jar ring on the bottom so the glass isn't touching the metal pot, this just makes the heat more even.

gallery_1384_593_67923.jpg

and no worries on what type of heat, the glycol is not flammable or dangerous to cook in the kitchen. so gas or electric is acceptable.

gallery_1384_593_89322.jpg

i keep the mason jar in the hot water for a minimum of three hours, lifting it out and twisting to agitate every 30 minutes... you don't want to shake the jar just a gentle twist back and forth to mix the solution and make sure all the herb is fully saturated and covered in glycol. keep the jar sealed to eliminate any evaporation. you want the mixture to stay in the very bottom of the mason jar and not stuck to the sides, this is why a gentle twist works well. don't worry if you drop it or accidentally shake too much, it won't ruin it, it will just not be as perfect as it could but still usable. i learned from trial and error.... in the beginning i would take the lid off and stir it with a spoon but this was a waste and made a mess so just do the twist!!

also, steeping for over three hours does not hurt but i have not found any benefit to steeping longer. but less than three hours leaves too much cannabinoids in the ganja and not in the oil so go for at least the full three hours.

once the three hours is up, you can work it right away or let it sit overnight to cool down, your choice. i like to do it all right away and get the mess out of the way.

the next part you can use a variety of tools to get the same results but i will show you what i use and you guys can substitute as needed. basically all you're trying to do is filter and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. i like to use cheese cloth or a cotton muslin bag....

gallery_1384_593_11508.jpg

the muslin bags work much better and can be reused many more times than cheesecloth but are also more expensive... i happen to have them from another project so i learned that a 7.5x12.5 Cm /(3" x 5") muslin bag holds ten grams just perfect.

i then scoop out all the mixture from the mason jar and put it in a muslin bag being very careful not to drip or waste any liquid.... i then stuff the bag into my piecemaker hash puck press with the upgraded BHO lid with holes...

gallery_1384_593_33241.jpg

again, you can use something else if you don't have a press like this.... a potato ricer or garlic press would probably work well too... i have already own a piecemaker so i use it. but the entire focus is just extracting as much liquid as possible from the mixture. this part can get a little messy so a mechanical press helps. and if you use a press like mine be careful of any oil that leaks past the plunger on the press when you take it apart.

i press out all the liquid i can in a smaller mason jar, again, any glass container will work... and it does not even need to be glass but the glass is very easy to clean and won't be stained from the oil. i happen to use the little jelly jar on the left...

gallery_1384_593_8534.jpg

once all the liquid is extracted from the herb, i draw it up into syringes for a mess free storage... you could keep the liquid right in the jar and use it from there but it is much easier to use a syringe and then into a small squeeze bottle is even better....

gallery_1384_593_15238.jpg

that small dropper bottle holds five milliliters and easy to dose with. i personally normally dose with 2.5 milliliters, which is half of the dropper bottle. this recipe makes just over 40ml of liquid. (about 16 heavy doses) for people under 60kg/130lbs i suggest about 1.5ml per dose.

now you're not quite done yet.... in normal extractions the left over herb is discarded.... not this method!!! the glycol is food grade so the herb is never tainted... it takes quite a bit to feel effects but still not wasted,,, out of the ten grams of left over material it is about two or three doses left in it yet that is next to impossible to extract. so eat the left over herb and don't throw it away... i eat a couple spoonfuls with some yogurt or pack it all in capsules to take.

and another tip is to keep a slice of bread handy when making the oil, in the event you can wipe your fingers or wipe up any mess and/or clean the tools and jars with the bread and can be eaten when finished..... next to zero waste with this method!!!!

so if anyone has any questions or concerns please let me know, and also if you need any links to any supplies... everything can be bought on amazon or ebay if you can't find it local.

and one last tip, try taking your edible before you wake up for the day.... i know it sounds weird but if you sleep on it for a couple hours it hits you twice as hard and last twice as long... or take extra right before you fall asleep and wake up toasted!!!!!!!!!!!! be prepared for a very deep sleep!!!

Edited by Stoney, 27 June 2017 - 03:47 AM.

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 23 others like this

#2 Afton

Afton

OLD GUYS RULE!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

@Stoney this is a great idea and thanks for sharing it!

I'll be using something a little different but with the same results.

It will be 3-4 months from now when I do it to my bud that I just harvested.

I'll be sure to post with pics and all like you did.  :headbang: :headbang:

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 12 others like this

#3 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Nice clean waste free method. And nicely explained!
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 14 others like this

#4 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Nice guide @Stoney, that peacemaker looks the business, £200 over here  :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 12 others like this

#5 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Add a few menthol crystals and you`ve got yourself a real stealthy ejuice for vaping. :) A cool guide m8 too. :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 14 others like this

#6 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

I like the non flammable bit its the only worry when I make my oil with ISO.

• The Dude Abides, duke, Roy Cropper and 11 others like this

#7 jackball17

jackball17

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Good stuff stoney very interesting
Atb jackball
  • The Dude Abides, duke, mrsDeeks and 7 others like this

#8 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

I was lead to believe when researching vape oil that the oil won't ....emulsify and carry the oil and it falls out. So they were using PEG with pg . does yours separate when left? If not as Jim says u could vape it altho 100pg tastes a bit rough in a vape but it's probably livable

If your doesn't "fall out" of the pg . I wonder why ? Perhaps the 3hours maybe .
Interesting .

Well explained and good post m8
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 12 others like this

#9 Stoney

Stoney

Squisher

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

@Stoney this is a great idea and thanks for sharing it!

I'll be using something a little different but with the same results.

It will be 3-4 months from now when I do it to my bud that I just harvested.

I'll be sure to post with pics and all like you did.  :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Afton, i look forward to reading about your method!!!

Nice clean waste free method. And nicely explained!

Thank you so olmec, all this talk of it has me making a batch right now!!! hehe

Nice guide @Stoney, that peacemaker looks the business, £200 over here  :)

Thanks Dutchy, yes sir that is one expensive piece.... i only use it because i already have it, i wouldn't buy it just for this process.

Add a few menthol crystals and you`ve got yourself a real stealthy ejuice for vaping. :) A cool guide m8 too. :)

thanks jimmi!!!  for ejuice i would add about 40% worth of vegetable glycerin to smooth it out a bit.... straight glycol tends to pop and crackle in the vape pen. plus you would also want to use rosin, bho, kief, h2o extract or some form of concentrate to start with,  then add the 60/40 mix to that at the smallest volume possible to get the most potent you can. with my recipe it would take a long time to vape 2ml worth.

I like the non flammable bit its the only worry when I make my oil with ISO.

this is my worry as well.... i've made all the volatile mixes with ISO, acetone, naptha, hexthane and butane.... this method is a very refreshing way to make a concentrate and take almost all the danger out of it.

Good stuff stoney very interesting
Atb jackball

Thank you jackball!!!!!  one thing i forgot to mention.... i does not taste good at all,,, have a large soft drink or something to wash it down with... i starting using capsules,,, 

DSCN9859

I was lead to believe when researching vape oil that the oil won't ....emulsify and carry the oil and it falls out. So they were using PEG with pg . does yours separate when left? If not as Jim says u could vape it altho 100pg tastes a bit rough in a vape but it's probably livable

If your doesn't "fall out" of the pg . I wonder why ? Perhaps the 3hours maybe .
Interesting .

Well explained and good post m8

Thanks Forest, i have not had a problem with it separating at all... here is a short video of a bottle that has not been touched in a few weeks and you can see when i first turn it over there is a tiny bit separated but once i shake it up for a few seconds you can't even tell... 

not sure if it is from the long three hour steep or maybe it is the mixture used,,, most vape mixes are 50/50 vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol, where i use 100% glycol. 

and yes, 100%pg is a bit rough, plus it tends to pop and crackle in the wick style pens.... i personally like a 60%pg and 40%vg mix for pens.

with all this talk i got the itch and started a new batch while typing this..... use some of my favorite bud.. alien rock candy!!!

DSCN9856

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 16 others like this

#10 mrsDeeks

mrsDeeks

Mrs Deeks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

This sounds fab and a lot safer thanks i think you should try this @Dekay

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Solo Quin and 7 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.