27 replies to this topic

#1 Clarice_Starling

Clarice_Starling

Token Clueless Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

As I become more comfortable in the Weed World,  I have noticed more interest in "Purple" strains - I am definitely becoming very interested in them.

Does the purple relate to the leaf colour or flower colour, or is it an interchangeable label that could mean either?

Are there any strains with unusual colourings  which are different to the normal "Green leaves and Khaki buds" combination?

Obviously I understand that "Purple" doesn't necessarily mean that the plant will develop into such a true purple colour that it looks like it has been grown in My Little Pony manure, but I am very interested in colour variations. 

Thankyou in advance.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 10 others like this

#2 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,001 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

@Clarice_Starling i have grown a few purple strains over the years and imo most are pretty but not potent though there are exceptions purple kush from world of seeds had very dark nearly black leaves and light purple buds and pink pistils and is very potent though also very slow to veg,or grandaddy purple aka gdp is another though seed is expensive it is worth a punt on a single fem seed and often carry strong colour even in youngish plants,the old purple haze was very hit or miss and the seed could produce ditchweed or tip top buds but only a few of the purple have any potency,thats just my experience,peace

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 10 others like this

#3 Doublej

Doublej

Upper Left US

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

well I think the cold temperature truns plants purple more than anything, this flower was grown in an groom that had a drop in temps from when the light was on and the light off. I think I had a drop of 12-15 degrees

IMG 20150917 211702390
However this  the same groom, but the temps were higher
IMG 20150416 203846300

I really don't think theres any differnce between purple VS green as far as strength/potency, It's eather there or its not
I belive purple weed has a taste to its own tho...
maybe thats way I like it 

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 9 others like this

#4 Clarice_Starling

Clarice_Starling

Token Clueless Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

Great replies guys, thanks.

You answered my next questions which were going to be whether the colour affects the potency or whether it is just for aesthetic reasons....and if the Temps have an effect also.

Good mind reading there,  Thankyou! :-) 

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 8 others like this

#5 Doublej

Doublej

Upper Left US

• Respected User
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

Like duke said, there are strains that are supposed to be purple.

But that dosen't mean they do.. or make them any stronger...

But we as growers can kinda help them to get better.........................................

It's all about the grow environment..IMHO.....If we take care of that, then they will (plants) take care of us

This is A test grow I did for a guy and it just truned purple and the strenght was there, not super strong, but tastes was there

IMG 20151217 210226000

here is a GDP cross=== "Grand Pa Larry", Its only kinda purple, and it wasn't all that great as far as strenght goes
IMG 20161126 195205257 HDR

All kinda a weed out there......well thats enough out of me... 

man that last smoke got me...... wooooooooooohooooooooooo

:guitar:  :joint:

That is all....Beam me up Scotty 

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 7 others like this

#6 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:25 AM

(percieved) Green is the perfect photosynthesis colour in low light conditions, as in not the sun and purple/red is not as efficient in that regard so if there was a green version of a strain and a purple one I would take the green one as I am an indoor grower, and not talking about if its cold most plants do that to some extent if you let temps get too low but if you had a lovely hot sun in the sky there would be no difference I reckon, conditions is always everything :)

• The Dude Abides, weedtroll, duke and 8 others like this

#7 Clarice_Starling

Clarice_Starling

Token Clueless Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:23 AM

Good old photosynthesis - reminds me of my school days. In some respects we never stop learning. Was it Chlorophyll that is the substance that makes leaves green? Trying to remember my GCSE biology classes from many years ago!

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 9 others like this

#8 Chew

Chew

BioBomber

• Respected User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Shoreline is purple, and potent :)

#9 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Shoreline is purple, and potent :)

You got any of them grand daddy purp beans yet?

#10 Chew

Chew

BioBomber

• Respected User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

You got any of them grand daddy purp beans yet?

Not yet mate. I'll be growing that in October once the weather cools down.
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 8 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.