233 replies to this topic

#71 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

Post no #42? Yeah I like the look of that LED but as long as I have not seen any grows done with it can't really say much about it. Don't really trust all the sales talk they put up.

Are you planning to buy one direct from china?

I'm keeping an eye on Grandad grow over at the old place. Thats the one I'm interested in if ever I'm going to replace my eshine.

• spoongotlost likes this

#72 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Found this article by Ed Rosenthal that got my thinking the stretch was occurring because of the IR leds.

By Ed Rosenthal - Monday, November 7 2005

Can my plants detect infrared light?

The electromagnetic spectrum is categorized by wavelength. The longer the wave, the less energy it holds. So blue light, which has a short wavelength of 475 nanometers, has more energy than red light, which has a wavelength of 660 nm. Infrared light is just beyond the range of human vision at 730nm. Although we cannot see it, we can feel infrared radiation as warmth. For instance, a glowing charcoal emits red light in the visible spectrum and infrared light that we sense as heat.

Every object emits infrared radiation from its surface. So an object with a cold surface emits less and an object with a warm surface emits more. That's how an infrared camera works. It records a photo of the infrared rays emitted by the objects in the picture. Plants are usually a little warmer than the surrounding environment, so they are lighter. Water and moist objects such as soil are often cooler and darker. Even a totally dark room yields an infrared picture.

Since the camera is only recording waves that are already there and is not projecting any light into the space, it has no effect on the plants. If you take an infrared photo outside your space, you can see how much heat is escaping and how it's leaving. You might find that of interest also.

The plants use red and infrared light to regulate stem growth and flowering response. Plant cells produce a chemical called a phytochrome, which has two versions. One version, PR, is sensitive to red light (660 nm). Red light converts PR into PFR. PFR signals the plant to grow short stocky stems and also helps the plant grow into specific shapes. The plants also use red and infrared light to measure uninterrupted darkness. As far as plants are concerned in terms of flowering, if there's no red light, it's dark.

PFR is sensitive to infrared light (730 nm), which converts it into PR. When PR levels build to a critical amount, scientists hypothesize that a hormone called floragen becomes active and induces the plant to flower. The reason floragen is called hypothetical is that researchers can see its effects, but they haven't found it yet.

PFR reverts to PR naturally. For PFR to be present, it must be renewed continuously by the presence of red light. When plants are shaded, they get less of the needed red light. In the absence of red light, the PR version predominates and the stem stretches to reach the light. Lower side branches shaded by leaves from above have PR and grow longer until they reach the light. Then they modify their growth in the presence of PFR.

Outdoors during the day, there is more red light than infrared. However, at dawn and dusk the first and last light from the sun isn't the visible red of the rising or setting sun, but infrared, which is at the far end of the electromagnetic spectrum. The infrared converts the PFR to PR and the critical dark-time begins or ends its countdown.

This has too many implications for them all to be discussed here. For instance, it explains why plants grown under incandescent lamps stretch (more infrared than red light). The effects of the two spectrums can also be used in innovative indoor lighting programs.

• Budgie, spoongotlost and CountryBoy like this

#73 spoongotlost

spoongotlost

Disco Light Grow Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Post no #42? Yeah I like the look of that LED but as long as I have not seen any grows done with it can't really say much about it. Don't really trust all the sales talk they put up.

Are you planning to buy one direct from china?

I'm keeping an eye on Grandad grow over at the old place. Thats the one I'm interested in if ever I'm going to replace my eshine.

There are a couple of test grows going at the moment on 420 mag but the first one has only just gone into flower - and no i wouldn't by direct from china as intelligent grow have just released a second version as the original which i guess is what ctlite sell directly was a bit wimpy on the flowering the gen 2 has a modified spectrum and intelligent grow give a 3 year warranty.

I'll be watching grandads grow but seen a few of these top led grows one of the testers from 420 has done a grow witht he mars 2 and still prefers the intelligent grow so i'll be wathing both.

My shortlist of newer panels is the budmaster GOD series, GN if they ever release the new units and intelligent grow unless someone can talk me into another type lol

• revert likes this

#74 spoongotlost

spoongotlost

Disco Light Grow Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Found this article by Ed Rosenthal that got my thinking the stretch was occurring because of the IR leds.

do you reckon you could force a plant into flower on 18/6 with a huge quantity of ir then? interesting might have to read it a few more times for it to sink in lol

• revert likes this

#75 Auto_man

Auto_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

the budmaster 2 has landed here are some pics:

attachicon.gifP7301149 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifP7301150 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifP7301151 (1024x768).jpg

She is bloody bright makes my camera spaz out more than a hps but the photo turned out better then i thought it would - pretty intense though :)

Cant hang it up in the tent yet didn't buy any rope ratchets :curse:

qmark.gif Consumption: 190wqmark.gif Power: 300wqmark.gif Diodes: 100 x 3w Epiled Diodes qmark.gif Lens: 90° Precision Lens Size: 31 x 31 x 9cm x 3kg Coverage: qmark.gif Input: AC85~264V Temp: 20º - 22ºcqmark.gif Warranty: 1 Yearqmark.gif

Bought one a few weeks ago, fans a bit noisier than i expected but very well made and modular which includes the drivers.

Got my first grow under one now.

Wanted to buy a DP, they  bring out new updated vers end summer, i got fed up waiting, missed some free seeds!

• Budgie, revert and spoongotlost like this

#76 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

do you reckon you could force a plant into flower on 18/6 with a huge quantity of ir then? interesting might have to read it a few more times for it to sink in lol

I'm not saying anything :D, but it seems the play a part in the stretching and flowering of a plant.

#77 spoongotlost

spoongotlost

Disco Light Grow Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Bought one a few weeks ago, fans a bit noisier than i expected but very well made and modular which includes the drivers.

Got my first grow under one now.

Wanted to buy a DP, they  bring out new updated vers end summer, i got fed up waiting, missed some free seeds!

which model ya got automan?? did you go for the upgrade od or god model (not sure if god has been officially released yet??)

Get some pics up come join the led growing area :)

That dp light is the grow northern we keep complaining about the release being put back on hopefully they'll be some grows with them being documented very soon :)

Edited by spoongotlost, 06 August 2014 - 06:51 PM.

• revert likes this

#78 Auto_man

Auto_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Just got the od, my first grow so wanted to see how it might go before any big investment in equip.

Gods and clusters on their web site, thinks upgrade if things pan out, man they pricey!

Need to sort out how 2 post pics, actually thats a lie lol, plants suffered a slight set back and not too photogenic atm

happy to say they making a come back  :phew:

Peace

#79 Auto_man

Auto_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

Been trying to post pics but it ain't havin' it

#80 spoongotlost

spoongotlost

Disco Light Grow Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

you can post thumbnails using the attach file option in more reply options or use the gallery upload em to gallery and right click on the image choose ya size small medium large etc then copy image location and paste into the image tool. Hope that helps fella :)

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.