8 replies to this topic

#1 Up2nogood

Up2nogood

Just call me Sir

• Sleeping Mods
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

10 Most Common Growing Marijuana Mistakes

Growing marijuana is not easy. It takes years of practice to be able to grow a potent sticky bud. However there are some common mistakes that majority of rookie as well as some experienced cannabis growers still make. We have put together a list of 10 common growing marijuana mistakes and advise how to avoid them. Are you guilty of any of them? Share below!

1. Don’t Over Water Your Marijuana Plant

Over watering kills marijuana plants. Water once the top few inches of the soil dry out.  Hydroponics is harder to over water because rockwool has such excellent drainage properties. As long as the rockwool cubes are not sitting in liquid it is virtually impossible to over water a hydroponic setup. A hydroponic setup could either be watered constantly as the drip method, or once to three times a day as in the flood and drain method.

2. Don’t Tell People You Grow Weed.

Seriously. Just don’t. Why? They will only be jealous. People love to feel important and that is why they will tell other people; because others will listen to them. Keep it to yourself. This is one of the most common reasons for being caught, so again – don’t tell anyone!

3. Touch/Kill Germinating Seeds

Please have some patience. It sometimes takes 10 days for a seed to sprout. The paper towel method is not recommended because you must handle the seeds when transferring them from the paper towel to your growing medium.

4. Grow Seeds From Seeded Marijuana

One of the greatest disappointments known to the growing man. 90% of what the final product will be is in the seed’s genetics and has little to do with the environment the plant is grown in. Many get their hands on the seed and think they have a gold mine. They will probably grow something like this: hermaphrodites, tall late flowering females coupled with early flowering males. This is because the only pollen that could have produced the seed was from a hermaphrodite or a very stunted and late flowering male the grower did not notice.

Unless you are prepared for possible disappointment don’t use “unknown” seeds. This is why people buy seeds from seedbanks

5. Don’t Over Fertilize

Fertilize after first 2 spiked leaves appear. Follow the label. DON’T FERTILIZE EVERY TIME YOU WATER!!!

Start with 25% and work your way up! Leach the plants with lots of pure water every 2-4 weeks. Organic marijuana growing is recommended. It tastes better and burns much better. If the leaves suddenly twist or fold under, Leach and Spray with pure water for several days!

6. Don’t Under Fertilize

Under fertilizing is less common but it happens. If you are one of those people that likes to give the plant just enough nutrients make sure you use a organic soil mixture with blood meal and bone meal or some slow release fertilizer with micro nutrients.

7. Don’t Start With Clones

Start with seeds. Bugs are a pain, So are plant diseases. Many growers are able to grow indoors without pest problems for years. If they do get pests they are probably not enjoying the change from their usual diet to marijuana resin! But as soon as you come in contact with others grow material (cuttings) it is almost guaranteed that its from a long time grower that has many different pests all eating marijuana and bug spray (and surviving) for hundreds of generations!… Think about it.
(I personally don’t agree with this, I use clones and cuttings.)

8. Don’t Start Too Early Inside or Outdoors

For several reasons! If you are starting outdoors June 1 is perfect. But if I start earlier I will get bigger buds right? Probably Wrong!

It’s strange but usually true. Let me explain. Plants started in early spring will get big but they will take significantly longer to start flowering. This is because at the peak vegetative period they sense the light cycles getting longer and longer, until June 21. But they don’t realize that its time to flower yet. Finally in the middle of August the plant says “HEY, time to flower already” and it produces buds in August and September or later they will be tall as trees but thinner buds due to the fact that the sun is not as strong in September. Now if the ganja plants were put out later, as soon as they get a foot off the ground they say “what’s going on” I am just in early veggie and the light hours aren’t getting longer in fact SHORTER”. Then the plants go crazy and since the sun is so bright in July and August you get amazing 6 foot trees that are heavier than the plants started in April!!! In addition to finishing earlier the late started plants are not nearly as noticeable.

Indoors is the same for different reasons. The light cannot penetrate more than a foot or two. So flower when plants are a foot tall. If you wait longer because you want bigger yields, you will get smaller yields and wait longer for them.

9. Don’t Provide A Bad Environment

Always provide air circulation and fresh air even during the night cycle is fine. All the air indoors should be replaced every 5-10 minutes. Humidity between 30-70% temp aim for around 75-85′ Even seedlings need a gentle fan to strengthen the stems.

10. Don’t Harvest Too Early

I know it’s hard. You see the buds and resin forming at a rapid rate. The buds are potent and you feel tempted to chop’em down! The only problem is that another 25% of the weight will form in 2 more weeks. Wait until the plants have totally stopped growing and the white pistils are at least 50-75% brown.

*NOTE: Outdoors if security is a factor make your own call on when to sacrifice the fields. Also take buds continuously in case of thieves.

There are things here you may not agree on but this is just a guide :)

Took from greenmanspage

• Budgie, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 9 others like this

#2 Weedgie

Weedgie

consistantly average

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

nice post up2.

i used to be bad for not letting my plants finish, but now i have a perpetual system going i seem to have more MJ stashed which gives me more patience lol.  i think the perpetual system just works better for me, not to everyones taste i know (each to their own).

as for the dont start with clones bit, im with you there up2,  i use clones aswell but only from my own mother plants...... dunno if that counts lol

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, cannamancan and 2 others like this

#3 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

10 Most Common Growing Marijuana Mistakes

Growing marijuana is not easy. It takes years of practice to be able to grow a potent sticky bud. However there are some common mistakes that majority of rookie as well as some experienced cannabis growers still make. We have put together a list of 10 common growing marijuana mistakes and advise how to avoid them. Are you guilty of any of them? Share below!

1. Don’t Over Water Your Marijuana Plant

Over watering kills marijuana plants. Water once the top few inches of the soil dry out.  Hydroponics is harder to over water because rockwool has such excellent drainage properties. As long as the rockwool cubes are not sitting in liquid it is virtually impossible to over water a hydroponic setup. A hydroponic setup could either be watered constantly as the drip method, or once to three times a day as in the flood and drain method.

2. Don’t Tell People You Grow Weed.

Seriously. Just don’t. Why? They will only be jealous. People love to feel important and that is why they will tell other people; because others will listen to them. Keep it to yourself. This is one of the most common reasons for being caught, so again – don’t tell anyone!

3. Touch/Kill Germinating Seeds

Please have some patience. It sometimes takes 10 days for a seed to sprout. The paper towel method is not recommended because you must handle the seeds when transferring them from the paper towel to your growing medium.

4. Grow Seeds From Seeded Marijuana

One of the greatest disappointments known to the growing man. 90% of what the final product will be is in the seed’s genetics and has little to do with the environment the plant is grown in. Many get their hands on the seed and think they have a gold mine. They will probably grow something like this: hermaphrodites, tall late flowering females coupled with early flowering males. This is because the only pollen that could have produced the seed was from a hermaphrodite or a very stunted and late flowering male the grower did not notice.

Unless you are prepared for possible disappointment don’t use “unknown” seeds. This is why people buy seeds from seedbanks

5. Don’t Over Fertilize

Fertilize after first 2 spiked leaves appear. Follow the label. DON’T FERTILIZE EVERY TIME YOU WATER!!!

Start with 25% and work your way up! Leach the plants with lots of pure water every 2-4 weeks. Organic marijuana growing is recommended. It tastes better and burns much better. If the leaves suddenly twist or fold under, Leach and Spray with pure water for several days!

6. Don’t Under Fertilize

Under fertilizing is less common but it happens. If you are one of those people that likes to give the plant just enough nutrients make sure you use a organic soil mixture with blood meal and bone meal or some slow release fertilizer with micro nutrients.

7. Don’t Start With Clones

Start with seeds. Bugs are a pain, So are plant diseases. Many growers are able to grow indoors without pest problems for years. If they do get pests they are probably not enjoying the change from their usual diet to marijuana resin! But as soon as you come in contact with others grow material (cuttings) it is almost guaranteed that its from a long time grower that has many different pests all eating marijuana and bug spray (and surviving) for hundreds of generations!… Think about it.
(I personally don’t agree with this, I use clones and cuttings.)

8. Don’t Start Too Early Inside or Outdoors

For several reasons! If you are starting outdoors June 1 is perfect. But if I start earlier I will get bigger buds right? Probably Wrong!

It’s strange but usually true. Let me explain. Plants started in early spring will get big but they will take significantly longer to start flowering. This is because at the peak vegetative period they sense the light cycles getting longer and longer, until June 21. But they don’t realize that its time to flower yet. Finally in the middle of August the plant says “HEY, time to flower already” and it produces buds in August and September or later they will be tall as trees but thinner buds due to the fact that the sun is not as strong in September. Now if the ganja plants were put out later, as soon as they get a foot off the ground they say “what’s going on” I am just in early veggie and the light hours aren’t getting longer in fact SHORTER”. Then the plants go crazy and since the sun is so bright in July and August you get amazing 6 foot trees that are heavier than the plants started in April!!! In addition to finishing earlier the late started plants are not nearly as noticeable.

Indoors is the same for different reasons. The light cannot penetrate more than a foot or two. So flower when plants are a foot tall. If you wait longer because you want bigger yields, you will get smaller yields and wait longer for them.

9. Don’t Provide A Bad Environment

Always provide air circulation and fresh air even during the night cycle is fine. All the air indoors should be replaced every 5-10 minutes. Humidity between 30-70% temp aim for around 75-85′ Even seedlings need a gentle fan to strengthen the stems.

10. Don’t Harvest Too Early

I know it’s hard. You see the buds and resin forming at a rapid rate. The buds are potent and you feel tempted to chop’em down! The only problem is that another 25% of the weight will form in 2 more weeks. Wait until the plants have totally stopped growing and the white pistils are at least 50-75% brown.

*NOTE: Outdoors if security is a factor make your own call on when to sacrifice the fields. Also take buds continuously in case of thieves.

There are things here you may not agree on but this is just a guide :)

Took from greenmanspage

2 of these n00b mistakes I always do...overwatering and starting too early sending them into flower too soon and then hoping for reveg outdoors...sigh, will I learn from my mistakes? that remains to be seen :)

• Dekay, duke and Horse Badorties like this

#4 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

Growing pot is actually very ez. Mastering the art takes a lifetime.

#2 is funny considering it's a mmj forum where everybody is pretty much announcing to the world "I grow pot"

#3 is pure bullshit

In regards to #4...Gorilla Glue #4 and OG Kush say high. GG#4 is from hermie bagseed and original OGK is from bagseed at a Grateful Dead show.

Two of the better cuts to ever hit the scene and they came from bagseed lol.

#6 is funny. What if I told you I just hauled 2lbs and only used an oz of fish shit to get it? Nutes are a scam, ripoff, and pure snake oil.

#7 insinuates all clones come with bugs and that's simply not true

#8 depends on the zone. June 1st around here plants should be in the ground and already a meter tall & wide

#10...nobody goes by pistil color. Nobody

#1 & #9 though...spot on :D

• fairy, uk Percy, Petal and 1 other like this

#5 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:26 PM

Growing pot is actually very ez. Mastering the art takes a lifetime.

Yes :)

#2 is funny considering it's a mmj forum where everybody is pretty much announcing to the world "I grow pot"

Haha - yep it is pretty funny lol

#3 is pure bullshit

Yep

In regards to #4...Gorilla Glue #4 and OG Kush say high. GG#4 is from hermie bagseed and original OGK is from bagseed at a Grateful Dead show.

Two of the better cuts to ever hit the scene and they came from bagseed lol.

My first grow was from bagseed and it was a blinder!

#6 is funny. What if I told you I just hauled 2lbs and only used an oz of fish shit to get it? Nutes are a scam, ripoff, and pure snake oil.

I've only ever grown outdoors so can't really say regards nutes for indoor growing but I too agree with you on this.  Love the fishy stuff lol

#7 insinuates all clones come with bugs and that's simply not true

I've never done clones but Duke here is a testament to growing really good stuff from clones consistently.

#8 depends on the zone. June 1st around here plants should be in the ground and already a meter tall & wide

aah see I don't start them off indoors and in my eagerness to get a grow on I put the germed seed straight into it's pot as soon as Spring is in the air lol...then....it's gender reveal within weeks! doh!!! but anyway, I don't mind really, it will reveg and be good enough for me lolol

#10...nobody goes by pistil color. Nobody

Really? I didn't know that...I do go by pistil colour.

#1 & #9 though...spot on :D

hahaha - mine is #1 & #8 :P

hahaha good on you setting us straight there Bandit :lol:

• Dekay, duke, uk Percy and 1 other like this

#6 uk Percy

uk Percy

Cannabis Tree Surgeon

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

Most old school growers use regular seeds.

Regular seeds will produce seeds when it comes to end of reproduction cycle.

Should i throw away seeds i have from Jamaica? As stating all bag seed hermie.
No as they are 90% regular seeds in Jamaica. Only 10% jamaicans have female seeds from uk Amsterdam and usa.
  • Dekay, duke, fairy and 2 others like this

#7 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

Most old school growers use regular seeds.

Regular seeds will produce seeds when it comes to end of reproduction cycle.

Should i throw away seeds i have from Jamaica? As stating all bag seed hermie.
No as they are 90% regular seeds in Jamaica. Only 10% jamaicans have female seeds from uk Amsterdam and usa.

hi percy my first few grows was all bagseed from alleged jamaican heritage and also some afghani seed i got sent from a german seed collector the jam never once hermied till we tried it indoors under hid lights as previously i had used the roof between 2 apex so sun all day long and no one could see them unless on the roof and they did great once i learned to spot the males and cull them quick!

the afghani was still the best total narcotic type so you could not move or do anything but relax and i since have grown many so called landrace afghanis but yet to find a phenotype even similar in the stone department,bagseed is not all bad imo but i have seen unscrupulous rasta men in brighton adding bags of hemp seed to add weight!peace

• Dekay, uk Percy and Horse Badorties like this

#8 Horse Badorties

Horse Badorties

Buddist Punk

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

@uk Percy I wouldn't throw them away. I'd start a handful under 12/12, see what happens.

That said, the only seed I've grown that I knew was from Jamaica, hermied like something in a Fellini movie. Gorgeous plant right up until. :(

• Dekay, duke and uk Percy like this

#9 uk Percy

uk Percy

Cannabis Tree Surgeon

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:33 PM

The jam i had didnt hermie either.

Id never throw away the jam seeds.

I will try it as most daylight they do is 13/14 hours. That be good to flower on 14 for a strains that adapted to flower on 13/14 hours.
  • Dekay, duke and Horse Badorties like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.