29 replies to this topic

#21 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Looking great Lefty, a nice early start for you, mine are are still in their seed packets! Would love to live at 30 lat.

I'm not familiar with US plants but that looks like some kind of thistle to me.

Mon the bats.

All good things

TDA

Hahha many thanks Dude. Sometimes I feel like if I dont have seeds dropped by mid February I'm late to the party. I got everything sowed by mid March this year and seems to be doing ok but by the end of July all the veggies will be dead and ready for the compost heap

fine bit of artsy gardening Lefty

I agree with Dude that thing has a thistley look to it, never seen one with the white, but if it were all green I would say thistle for sure too

Your climate is to be envied

Bathouse is a great idea too bro, not sure if i have any bats around myself, but that'd sure be nice

Nice work

Many thanks NS!!!

We have lots and lots of bats around here. Our city is even nicknamed "Bat City" hahaha.

The climate is nice but it also gets very hot down here which turns many people off. The Devil himself has been known to knock on the door and ask for a glass of cold water it gets so hot but if you can get you butt in a nice pool, river, lake, or the Gulf of Mexico the heat's not too bad. Combine with a fat splif and frozen margarita Summer can be pretty awesome :)

That green and white spikey plant could be a from the thistle family, I've got 1 in my garden Lefty.

That's it denots!

I was reading up a little on them and they're actually very common but weird I've never seen one until now.

Apparently they're edible with some medicinal quality. They allegedly taste like spinach so I may give it a try. I aint gonna eat the thorns though!

Here's a blog from a lady who forages for them an eats them in salad that got me intrigued about eating it

http://www.penniless...lk-thistle.html

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 4 others like this

#22 denots

denots

oil me up before you go go

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

http://www.penniless...lk-thistle.html

Good info there Lefty, I love spinach, so might give it a try to see what It does actually taste like...probably just stoned talk, but if do try it I'll let you now mate  :D .

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 3 others like this

#23 Stoney

Stoney

Squisher

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

every year... i just get started and you're already eating food!!!! haha

looks awesome though man, even wednesday seems to be loving it!!!!!

i can't wait to hear what you think of the edible thistle... i'm a spinach fan as well so it sounds interesting!!

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 2 others like this

#24 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

Mmmmmm.....Yummy!!!!

gallery_757_644_804147.jpg

What does'nt kill ya will only make ya stronger!

gallery_757_644_1255835.jpg

I think what's thrown me off the most is the size of this monster.

We also have native sunflowers that grow in the yard. If they're in an advantageous spot I leave them to grow and in this shot the Milk Thistle is almost as tall as the Sunflowers which come up to my waist in height

gallery_757_644_3830239.jpg

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 4 others like this

#25 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

every year... i just get started and you're already eating food!!!! haha

looks awesome though man, even wednesday seems to be loving it!!!!!

i can't wait to hear what you think of the edible thistle... i'm a spinach fan as well so it sounds interesting!!

Speaking of already eating some harvested foods.....

radishes are coming in. Not very impressed with how they're yielding but flavor is awesome!

I think I'll plant horse radish next and make my own hr spreads

gallery_757_644_2538308.jpg

Hauled the first two yeller squash, gave them to my wife and she proceeded to sear them in olive oil with garlic and green beans for Sunday dinner veggies

gallery_757_644_1242778.jpg

gallery_757_644_546210.jpg

my new favorite cut of dead cow....Spinalis Dorsi or the rib eye cap or cap steak!

It's the most flavorful part of a rib roast cut away into a strip. Some leave it in a strip and some roll it and tie it up.

Rolled is awesome, turning it into a full melt steak. Guaranteed the most flavorful and tender part of the rib eye\!!!

prime cuts from Costco

gallery_757_644_1191506.jpg

hot off the grill with crusted with Montreal Steak seasoning by McCormik

gallery_757_644_1112032.jpg

And no turf is complete without the surf!!!

gallery_757_644_765566.jpg

Meanwhile back in the yard...

gallery_757_644_1225614.jpg

passion vine planted last year to hopefully choke out some invasive vines has established itself and this year is blooming!!

If you like exotic alien looking flowers, passion vine is choice! It also attracts butterflies, bees, and humming birds. Geckos & anoles also use the vines as a hunting ground, snatching bugs of the vines and eating them :)

gallery_757_644_1000329.jpg

gallery_757_644_1246201.jpg

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, olmec and 4 others like this

#26 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

The Spring show is on!

Impatiens in stacked quad pods

gallery_757_644_1719438.jpg

Vitex tree. Butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds love it. Before I had neighbors up three stories high my vitex were great camo for outdoor ganja gardens

gallery_757_644_818910.jpg

gallery_757_644_1865006.jpg

Blue Sharon

gallery_757_644_552295.jpg

Romas in an Earthbox

gallery_757_644_553481.jpg

Mild jalapenos and spicy bells in an Earthbox

gallery_757_644_965297.jpg

gallery_757_644_1001097.jpg

The wind garden is starting to look like something

gallery_757_644_2413908.jpg

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 3 others like this

#27 mrsDeeks

mrsDeeks

Mrs Deeks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:37 PM

Got room for a tent in that garden? There is only 5 of us and 3 dogs   :giggle:

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Bandit 4freekin20 and 1 other like this

#28 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

Got room for a tent in that garden? There is only 5 of us and 3 dogs   :giggle:

You say 5 now but I'm sure it would be 6 very soon. :)

Most days I watch the animals in my yard and all they do is hook up. Talked to my neighbors about a colony of doves...The doves go to my neighbor's homes for food and come to my backyard to shag. I even saw a pair of lizards humping on each other last week :D

Pulled a nice haul of produce for the table this morning!!

Got some romas, red peppers, and cukes.

gallery_757_644_43620.jpg

Squash are done...grub worms killed the plants right when they were ready to produce a lot of fruit. :angry:

Finding some wild passion fruit growing in my trees last week but have yet to get good pics of them. Popped a fruit open and it's kinda like a pomegranate with lots of sweet & juicy seeds

I decided not to eat the milk thistle. After flowering it started to turn me off more and more and not being into spinach anyways I fed it to the worms ;)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, mrsDeeks and 3 others like this

#29 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

Milk thistle stops hang overs completely I take a supplement if I know I am going to over do it and you get no headache, sickness or anything, might have been handy that lefty, beautiful garden mate, I only got fruit bushes this year and trying growing flowers for a first time :)

• mrsDeeks, Solo Quin, Bandit 4freekin20 and 2 others like this

#30 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

Milk thistle stops hang overs completely I take a supplement if I know I am going to over do it and you get no headache, sickness or anything, might have been handy that lefty, beautiful garden mate, I only got fruit bushes this year and trying growing flowers for a first time :)

I read it's also an antidote to mushroom poisoning and helps the liver get rid of toxins...Two things I could use in life often :)

I think I really missed the boat on it and did'nt think much outside of eating it...I should have extracted it...made some milk thistle rosin or something. Turn it into oil and make caps to eat. Next time I'll be ready with a good plan for it.

Thanks for the nice words Deeks! I love flower gardening and especially trees that bloom and hold the blooms for a long time.

Flowers are hit and miss a lot of time at first but once you get a sense of what works where you'll have a yard full of color in no time.

Best of luck with your projects brother!

• Dekay, duke, mrsDeeks and 2 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.