Photo
- - - - -

Greens and Browns?

with farty bits

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Greens and Browns (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How should we recognise Respected Members?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

just for you @ Dutchy

just tried counting, its hard to know which bits are the interludes  :D Thanks Budgie

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 4 others like this

#12 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,107 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

we should all be green.peace

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops and 4 others like this

#13 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

I'm not sure that post count or join date are necessarily good indicators - someone could easily be a member for a year and/or make lots of posts, but they might all be Funny Pictures or something like that.

I came to the same conclusion; it adds a completely unnecessary division, and as you say, may or may not indicate actual experience.

My revised idea might be better at that, I have no idea how easy or otherwise it would be to implement, but if it's do-able it could work well. For example, random person A has a problem with their plants in hydroponics. A search for members knowledgeable in hydro turns up let's say 3 members for arguments sake. Next, maybe an @mention button to ask people with the relevant knowledge?

Members would opt in rather than a default setting, and could rate others knowledge in a given subject to ensure quality answers. Not sure how to do that without making it seem like some members knowledge is inferior to others, but that's all I've got for now :)

I've no idea how well I've managed to articulate what's in my head, so if anything doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to clarify :D

ATB

#14 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

A section on people's profiles where they can add stuff they know about maybe?

We kind of have this already :)

Go to your Profile settings and then click the Edit my About Me page button in the Profile Information block.

Anything entered there will show up on your profile, like this...

post-7-0-20576300-1501445616.png

:)

Attached Files

• The Dude Abides, THC F13ND, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#15 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,960 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Anonymiss, on 30 Jul 2017 - 8:05 PM, said:

This is how the whole Respected thing started (elsewhere), except that it wasn't based on length of membership or number of posts but... well, I don't exactly know what it was based on back then, but I'm under the impression it was something that was handed out to people who had provided copious amounts of good information and answered many questions.

It came from a couple of things really, bearing in mind it was a pretty big and quickly growing forum at the time that sufferred from a lot of flaming/trolling, and bad advice being given, innocently or otherwise....

But it was to recognise and thank members who set a standard for sharing knowledge and experience, kept themselves chilled like proper stoners do, and who could quite easily be moderators if they fancied. It also helped the moderators 'protect' if thats the word, these members from the haters/abuse. As the old mods ;) got all the crap side of the growing forum under control, the trolling/flaming aspects faded away mostly. When we set up the circle, most of the respected's also came on board and quite rightly retained that respected status here.

The Circle is a little bit different from the old place, in that most members were already experienced, chilled, friendly and helpful already. New members on the :tgc: pick up on this pretty quick, many of who are already established growers simply looking for a place to chill with like minded growers and stoners. 

So, from my point of view, the respected status is still 100% totally valid, has drifted slightly from those initial reasons, but, as  has been said, may appear cliquey and, although it's natural for groups to form, I for one want the place to be as inclusive and open to newbies and existing members as we can make it. Maybe down the line, as membership increases, we would need to have respected 'colours' I just don't think it's needed at the moment. But, if peeps think it is that's cool too :)

• The Dude Abides, THC F13ND, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#16 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

My revised idea might be better at that, I have no idea how easy or otherwise it would be to implement, but if it's do-able it could work well. For example, random person A has a problem with their plants in hydroponics. A search for members knowledgeable in hydro turns up let's say 3 members for arguments sake.

Adding new functionality is unikely to happen unless it's either trivial or important, and this isn't really either of those things (in my eyes, anyway).

So, perhaps the best bet for that would be to use the existing Interests field on Profiles which, unlike the About Me thing, is searchable from the Member List (click the More Search Options button)

However, I think that any such system (either bespoke or using existing facilities) will be completely non-intuitive and non-obvious to members generally (and especially to new ones or guests) and so would probably go unused, whereas a usergroup, a name being in a different colour, or anything similar to that, makes things immediately apparent.
  • Budgie, The Dude Abides, THC F13ND and 3 others like this

#17 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

Very true @ Anonymiss, maybe a combination of the interests field as you say, and a thread explaining the how it works? With an appropriate title a thread in the newbie section might be prominent enough to be noticed and useful? Didn't know interests was searchable though, that's new to me.

I'm just thinking aloud here and don't expect anyone to waste their time on this, especially if it's going to be of negligible value, to be honest I'm thinking of how frustrating it can be (and was for me) for a new grower to have things going wrong and not knowing who or where to ask. Even if they do ask in the right place, it often comes down to luck as to whether anyone who can answer that specific question will even see it. We all have our own browsing habits after all.

At the end of the day, 'tis just an idea :)
  • Budgie, ZenArcher, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#18 jimmi2scoops

jimmi2scoops

In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Administrators
  • 17,965 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:01 PM

I`m all for same colour through board, but i prefer blue :D I`m kinda of same thinking as yourself @ Budgie, in fact do we need respected user at all ? everyone is same, what the fucks it mean ? nowt really is my thinking. Like Missy mentioned i seem to remember it being given out for similar reasons she mentioned at another forum or i always thought that. Anyhow if we do keep it then just make everyone same colour and sling every member a respected badge cus i like giving out crazy badges to everyone too when i`m bored. Tbh i think badge system is a load of bollox  too, unless i`m having a crazy bored moment and being misscheivous trying to entertain myself, little things, small minds and all that shite, i just can`t help it sometimes.  :D

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, Lizardking and 5 others like this

#19 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

get rid of the respected thing altogether and create a suitable one for Missy, the rest of us should be normal green members :joint: :D 

#20 Sprink

Sprink

Cloth Trim Tim

• Respected User
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

Well I dunno

The only thing I can think is that it doesn't make sense to keep the award, regardless of colours

I mean, people even have wildly different ideas about why it should be given, and no-one really "outranks" anyone anyway

Damn, I'm talking myself out of prestige here, without respected status I'm just another sink estate Jonnie with a dodgy aircut

You know I joined another site once, and within a week or so, my reputation was "beyond repute". I guess I didn't give anyone reason to dislike me that week :)

You know there's a star rating for members right?

I'm 5 stars, of course. Probably one person clicked 5 stars when I said summink funny & they wanted to see what it did, but I'll take the win

But it would be interesting if everyone actually rated each member using the star thing, then I'd see my rating drop & be profiling people to figure out who downvoted me lol

Anyway, see where this stuff leads to?

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with farty bits

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.