Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

wana be a COB nutter? need help? just ask!

cree citizen led cobs drivers

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#11 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

You know what Forest, your great hands built a great rig for a competition on here ,  ! So I would like to grow with something you made and show case it, my first attempt hasn't incubated yet... :) shame. I'll p.m you to start.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 8 others like this

#12 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

Cleaned my nails

• Respected User
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

the junction box on the left as you look from the top of the rig is from screw fix and cost 1.60 ish i bring together the mains power there and fit a iec socket (three pin kettle plug) the right hand side is the dimmer/remote , the remote is stuck on top of the driver is you look you can see it 

"when i dont use a remote/dimmer, i use two of the junction boxes and bring the led dc volts together in it and as said the mains are in the other one"

I don't quite get your meaning there  Forest, does the dc not go in a circuit from the driver to COBS and return to driver?  Maybe once I start to put a COB build together I might just grasp what you mean. :) Sorry but I'm a real noob when it comes to electronics. :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 5 others like this

#13 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

a few Q's Forrest

what size is it and what area will 1 cover

also will the heat off these be enough to heat your growroom

im an hps kinda guy forrest but if they work .... happy days :D :D

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 11 others like this

#14 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,525 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Does higher Kelvin rating produce more leaves or bigger leaves Forest ?  it`s summink i`m none too sure about tbh. I know 2700 -3000kelvin is said ideal for flowering only and 6500k is best for vegging with any light spectrum ?

yep i started with 4000k and 4500k  they both give more leaf that the 3500 and the  3000k a bit less

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Zipp and 8 others like this

#15 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Glad your back @Forest, and a remote controller eh :barmy: best i get @ValleyDragon here in all this cob talk since he is interested too :D

Love cobs and feel sorry for my newly bought 600w dimmable ballast, with 4x 50w crees im getting same or even better results that 600 or 400w hps...

And never had humidity so perfect its always been dry with hps..

Plus highest temps ive had this year in groom is 29 or 30 where as before in warm temps i was reaching 35c or above with just 400w hps lol

Ive said all this before but i swear cobs are the future and my electric bill is awesome.

Glad you back forest mate and hope your all good my brother
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, BADM4N and 12 others like this

#16 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Good to see you back around Forest.

So what's a COB then, in plain English (or French)?

What size would I need for the Orgasmatron (0.9 x 1.1m)?

How much leccy will it use?

Can you build me one?

All good things

TDA

COB is  "chip on board" which is a way of saying they have bunged a whole load of leds tightly together  and made them all work together at the same time so it look like one light,

this is just off the top of the head so to speak

for that space 300w  or 320w would do nicely  that's the draw from the wall  and what you use to work out running cost .

so what hps were you running in there?

maybe sth like:

6 cobs the more cobs the lower watts they run on and better the spread and better efficiency

of course i can build one 

@Forest Nice to see this, thanks :) My old 330W and 400W CMH bulbs are up for a replacement soon, and from what I've seen COBs look like the ticket. What would you recommend for replacements in comparable COBs? Both the CMHs are 4000K. My other lights are 315W 4000K CMHs, so actually I'd like something that compares to them :rolleyes:

there are plenty of 4000k cobs  i found them to give me slightly more  leaf   but trich production is good under 4000k as you know from those cmh

I don't quite get your meaning there  Forest, does the dc not go in a circuit from the driver to COBS and return to driver?  Maybe once I start to put a COB build together I might just grasp what you mean. :) Sorry but I'm a real noob when it comes to electronics. :)

it does just as you say, but most drivers only come with short cables (very annoying) so to keep it safe i bring them together in a box  and use 2 to 4mm  wago connectors to join every thing, they are pricey for what they are but a joy to use and saves all the soldering i was doing,  when you decide weather to go in series or parallel  for powering your array  (high dc volts over low dcv) i can  help you , 

• The Dude Abides, BADM4N, Zipp and 7 others like this

#17 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Does higher Kelvin rating produce more leaves or bigger leaves Forest ?  it`s summink i`m none too sure about tbh. I know 2700 -3000kelvin is said ideal for flowering only and 6500k is best for vegging with any light spectrum ?

umm good question  well defo more leaf, when i grow under 4000k and higher you see leaf  on the buds like a out door grown bud,  i not sure what makes a big leaf or small  .....  the plants well-being ? a happy plant does grow a larger leaf, ?

Glad your back @Forest, and a remote controller eh :barmy: best i get @ValleyDragon here in all this cob talk since he is interested too :D

Love cobs and feel sorry for my newly bought 600w dimmable ballast, with 4x 50w crees im getting same or even better results that 600 or 400w hps...

And never had humidity so perfect its always been dry with hps..

Plus highest temps ive had this year in groom is 29 or 30 where as before in warm temps i was reaching 35c or above with just 400w hps lol

Ive said all this before but i swear cobs are the future and my electric bill is awesome.

Glad you back forest mate and hope your all good my brother

hi m8 i do also think this is the way of the future ,

they arent the same as hps and your buds and plants will change a bit ....  but for half the running costs that has sold me  and i like the smoke they produce that organic round i just did was the nicest tasting bud ive grown to date  

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 9 others like this

#18 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

hi Forrest nice your back mukka  ... can you run these 24 / 7 or do they require a little down time :D

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 7 others like this

#19 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

Cleaned my nails

• Respected User
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

it does just as you say, but most drivers only come with short cables (very annoying) so to keep it safe i bring them together in a box  and use 2 to 4mm  wago connectors to join every thing, they are pricey for what they are but a joy to use and saves all the soldering i was doing,  when you decide weather to go in series or parallel  for powering your array  (high dc volts over low dcv) i can  help you , 

I think I see what'a happening there Now Forest.  I suppose the in series method is simplest?  Does wiring them parallel mean it only requires 36 v and not multiplied by number of cobs?  

s-l500.jpg

Is this how the boxes work mate ?  Thanks for offer of help buddy, Ill pm you to arrange chat via whatsapp. :) :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Zipp and 7 others like this

#20 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

so can someone tell me what im running please in me panels as i aint got a clue...........i might av got a batch or a swansea / bloomer  see  :D  i will say that added led brings on the trichs a tad :huh:  im currently vegging under 2 x 100 watt panels with .....cobs / batches / swansea`s / bloomers but by fuked they can blind ewe @ 8 ft :lol:   ???????????   ive got cree summit or others :D

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Zipp and 7 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cree, citizen, led, cobs, drivers

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.