Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

You've heard of CMH?...Now meet CHPS!

Eye Hortilux 600 watt CHPS Hortilux CHPS Ceramic High Pressure Sodium CHPS Demo Grow CHPS grown Cannabis CMH CHPS light test

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#11 fairy

fairy

NFT

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

sounds good.. like Roy says wonder what heat output will be i dare say it will be same as usual hps...

if they bring out a bulb which same UV etc as CMH then thats the one innit without changing everything out like

• Dekay, Roy Cropper, Trump and 3 others like this

#12 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Do you know what the 90% life is? I know I could look around, but I'm busy drinking :beerbelly:

It looks like they're closer to metal halide than HPS.

This is from their site...

post-7-0-35111500-1516826507.png

Taking the fact they're in the business of selling lamps into account, those figures may be under-estimates but, given that HPS has, typically, a LLMF of around 95% or better at 20,000 hours, the new CHPS versions seem a lot shorter (11 months of 12/12 usage is only about 4,000 hours or so - At which time a HPS lamp would still be producing around 98% of its rated output).

Attached Files

• Dekay, 2scoops, Roy Cropper and 6 others like this

#13 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

I'm guessing it's open fixture rated though looking at this ;)

Hortilux say, "Fixture Requirement — Enclosed Rated" :)
  • Dekay, Roy Cropper, Bandit 4freekin20 and 4 others like this

#14 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Hortilux say, "Fixture Requirement — Enclosed Rated" :)

Nice find...I wonder if the greenhouse fixture comes with glass?

EDIT: LMAO..clicking on the SE600 it rates the CHPS as open rated?

https://eyehortilux....7-5d5b45d4-f0d0

Hortilux is notorious for this kinda mixed message info. Sometimes it's best to call and get it straight before plugging in some of the lamps they make. I once got three different explanations on how to use one of their super blue lamps regarding open or closed and vertical or horizontal.

Edited by lefty, 24 January 2018 - 09:04 PM.

• Dekay, Roy Cropper, Dex and 2 others like this

#15 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Hortilux is notorious for this kinda mixed message info

My personal feeling about these lamps is that they may well be snake oil, and that Hortilux could simply be jumping on the 'ceramic bandwagon' in the hope of selling more lamps to unsuspecting customers, who don't understand what it actually means or how the technologies work.

The point of using ceramic envelopes, rather than quartz, in metal halide lamps is to allow higher operating temperatures (typically greater than 900°C/1,650°F) and pressures, which in turn increases overall efficiency by about 10% to 20% and produces a better CRI, along with a longer lifespan because, the ceramic compounds don't absorb the metal ions from the gas in the same way that quartz envelopes do.

But, HPS lamps already use a similar material (aluminum oxide) for their envelopes, and that material can already cope with those high temperatures, as well as being largely unaffected by the ion-migration problems that beset quartz-enveloped metal halides (quartz isn't used for HPS because, the hot, high-pressure gas is extremely chemically reactive, but, borosilicate glass is used in LPS systems).
  • Dekay, 2scoops, marque08 and 8 others like this

#16 Horse Badorties

Horse Badorties

Buddist Punk

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

It looks like they're closer to metal halide than HPS.

This is from their site...

post-7-0-35111500-1516826507.png

Taking the fact they're in the business of selling lamps into account, those figures may be under-estimates but, given that HPS has, typically, a LLMF of around 95% or better at 20,000 hours, the new CHPS versions seem a lot shorter (11 months of 12/12 usage is only about 4,000 hours or so - At which time a HPS lamp would still be producing around 98% of its rated output).

Thanks for taking the time Anonymiss :) I was wondering how they'd compare to the 315s... which are about the same as the hps.

• Dekay, fairy, Bandit 4freekin20 and 2 others like this

#17 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

My personal feeling about these lamps is that they may well be snake oil, and that Hortilux could simply be jumping on the 'ceramic bandwagon' in the hope of selling more lamps to unsuspecting customers, who don't understand what it actually means or how the technologies work.

The point of using ceramic envelopes, rather than quartz, in metal halide lamps is to allow higher operating temperatures (typically greater than 900°C/1,650°F) and pressures, which in turn increases overall efficiency by about 10% to 20% and produces a better CRI, along with a longer lifespan because, the ceramic compounds don't absorb the metal ions from the gas in the same way that quartz envelopes do.

But, HPS lamps already use a similar material (aluminum oxide) for their envelopes, and that material can already cope with those high temperatures, as well as being largely unaffected by the ion-migration problems that beset quartz-enveloped metal halides (quartz isn't used for HPS because, the hot, high-pressure gas is extremely chemically reactive, but, borosilicate glass is used in LPS systems).

Could be IDK.

They have a t5ho that is unique to anything out. I've used them and thought there was nothing special but other growers swear by them.

I'm also lost with their 315 CMH. I have a feeling I know what it is and it's not what we typically use for horticulture.

Unless again, more misinformation, as their 315 is the only enclosed rated vertical only mount lamp I've seen on the market, yet they sell it in an open fixture

Proceeding with caution ;)

Edited by lefty, 24 January 2018 - 10:19 PM.

• Dekay, duke, Roy Cropper and 3 others like this

#18 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

The more I look at these lamps, the more I wonder about them...

They appear to have fairly short arc tubes, more like those in metal halides than the longer discharge envelopes of HPS, and, they have a specific mounting attitude, which is something that's usually only seen on metal halide lamps (HPS tend to be universal).
  • Dekay, 2scoops, Roy Cropper and 4 others like this

#19 Bandit 4freekin20

Bandit 4freekin20

American Outlaw

• Respected User
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Another new player about to hit the market.....1000watt DE CMH :)

Pretty sure Nanolux is the first with this new tech. Runs at 500w, 750w, 875w, and 1000w.

A friend of mine and I have been making calls and getting more and more details on both the 600w CHPS by Hortilux and the 1000w CMH by Nanolux.

He was going to get the 600 but wants the 1000 now so he will order it. The 600 got offered to me at wholesale so I thought about it and said why not. I'll give it a try :)

The deal I got was for the whole SE600 light package, not just the lamp. I'm expecting it to be delivered Monday then have it installed and ready, possibly with plants under it if the clones are ready, by the end of next week :D

• Dekay, 2scoops, WanderinBloke and 5 others like this

#20 Roy Cropper

Roy Cropper

grow, smoke, eat, repeat.

• Respected User
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

@lefty sure growers choice made a de cmh pretty much the same as that one in the video above and scrapped it off and went back to duel 315's, can't say I know why tho ?

Looks mean that lamp does !
  • Dekay, 2scoops, fairy and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eye Hortilux 600 watt CHPS, Hortilux, CHPS, Ceramic High Pressure Sodium, CHPS Demo Grow, CHPS grown Cannabis, CMH, CHPS light test

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.