38 replies to this topic

#1 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Hi folks, 

As per title really has anyone got a real easy way to get clones to root?

Sod's law dictated that my Hindu kushes were female (when I wanted males!) no room to flower her out yet so I'm thinking a few snips here and there and the clones should be ready by the time my other 2 plants are in jars.

I've got no root cubes, no rooting liquid, all I have is a pair of scissors and a plant.

Thanks in advance.

:)

a pot and some coco small clone and some water steady climate and no fans blowing on them until they well rooted,5 days on average 10 at most and theres roots galore,the very best way needs planning but is ever so simple just choose the stems you require rooting and wrap the stem with dark colour insulating tape to exclude light from the stem leave tape on for about a fortnight and take your clones and because the tape has excluded light the needed changes for rooting have allready taken place so now the stem will root in very short time,etiolation its called.peace

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops and 16 others like this

#2 Nefarious Shenanigans

Nefarious Shenanigans

youthful exuberance

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

it's maybe a tall order to pull it off without any cloning agent, do you have any aloe around you, willow maybe? both of these make rooting agents that rival anything you can buy. Aloe is the easiest, literally just break a leaf and dip the clone as if the goo inside the aloe is rooting gel

but I would think maybe coco fiber in solo cups can do it with just water if the cuts are very healthy and the coco is kept really at the right moisture level?

dunno if you happen to have any coco laying around? There is a vermiculite method too, maybe you have some of that? I have tried neither personally though eh, just thinking out loud, but one of the coco guys here must've tried cloning them in it, surely. The cubes I use for cloning are a pressed coco fiber so I would think it would work in the loose fiber too

maybe even a soilless type bagged mix could do it, but you are going to need really optimal conditions to pull it off I would imagine dude

hope you manage to get her done anyway

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 8 others like this

#3 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

hi marcus the cheap black insulating tape is easy to remove but anything that excludes light will work,and you dont need any hormones or shite for rooting in coco just straight no messing,good farting luck,peace

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 7 others like this

#4 Hoon

Hoon

Strain Hoarder

• DJs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

i uset to take clones, an put them in a propagator, take real care yada yada, dident have great success, 

now a dirty stanley blade some cheapo wilko's rooting powder/hormone pot of nice moist coco and just slap um in the veg tent no issues, shoot roots an take off in a week. 

In fact, lately keeping a couple plants in forever veg, i keep cloning and disposing of the bigger plant, as i dont have much room atm till shit is sorted. so continuously cloning to stay small. 

Couldn't find my wilko's cheep cloning stuff but did find a out of date cloning gel from forever ago, an worked no issues, 

Think you can use honey as well i think if memory serves me right? 

i find making the cut as near vertical as possible while still making a cut helps expose more surface area for roots to form and believe that helps too tbh also with honey/rooting gel/ hormone powder i find less is more to. 

• Budgie, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 8 others like this

#5 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

Seeing as nobody's mentioned it, cut any leaves down to 30% to 50% or their original size to reduce transpiration and water-uptake demands :)

#6 Hoon

Hoon

Strain Hoarder

• DJs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

^ That too :) it does seam to help lol 

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 5 others like this

#7 no1

no1

pronounced no one

• Respected User
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

All great methods mentioned, also remember not to forget, water with a pH of 5.5 - 5.8 is better for root propagation.     B)

I've had success with a glass of water  on the windowsill also, better luck in warm weather it seems for me.  

Good luck Marcus       :pimped:

#8 Doublej

Doublej

Upper Left US

• Respected User
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

yep, Ive had cutting root in just ph-ed water before.....it helps if the plant the cuttings are being taken from is heathy and happy....

I just dropped the cuts in a solo cup and put it under the lights, not saying its gonna work every time, but it's worth a try...

best of luck....

#9 gavin

gavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

like Anonymiss said I would cut any leaves down to 30% to 50%, and I would make sure the stem is a good 2-3" long

could just fill the propagator up 2-3" with coco, make some holes in the bottom propagator if there is none

give the coco a good soak and use a cocktail stick  to make a few holes in the coco for the cuttings 

I like my cutting to have a long stem as it gives me a higher chance for the cutting to root 

cutting like a very weak light, 

something like 12" below a t5 or 3ft below a 250w hps 

The main problems with cuttings are you keep the stems to wet and they rot or the light to close and the leaves burn as the propagator has no airflow and works like a greenhouse so it can get really hot under strong light 

Edited by gavin, 06 April 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#10 Horse Badorties

Horse Badorties

Buddist Punk

• Moderators
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

Since you've got it, I 3rd or 4th on the coco way :) @jimmi2scoops method is what I've used... I think I've got it right :lol: I put coco into a yogurt cup with some holes drilled in the bottom (I used plain Greek style I think jimmi likes the fruity stuff :P ) and soaked it with a weak solution of A+B. Took cuts (I think older parts work better), and packed them in a hole in the coco.

No gels or powders, no leaf clipping, no worries about how the stem was cut, no heat mat, no more feeding.

I put them under a weak light, in a closed up cardboard box ,and forgot about them :rolleyes: When I finally checked almost 3 weeks later, the coco was just beginning to dry out, and the cups were full of nice, white roots. I'm sure they were ready in 10-14 days.  Cake 'n pie, and it's worked 2x in a row, a record for me :pimped: 

I'm being a renegade this time, and am trying it in solo cups. I was thinking they might dry out quicker, so it's been daily farts in the box... nice wet ones :)  

• Budgie, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 10 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with farty bits, clones, farts

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.