103 replies to this topic

#1 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Hello, my fellow DIYers, and how are we today?

I'm bored bored bored what with no growing allowed, so I have decided to build myself a little box room in the garage for .......er............pottering about, ....yes that's it .......pottering about. 

I am sitting here typing this as the sweat drips off the end of my nose, proving just how unfit I am and how hard, actual work is........

Anyway, my little room has cost me 350 quid so far, (for timber and plasterboard) as I had the OSB sheets, iinsulation, screws and nails already )

I started by swearing a lot, while trying to single handedly plasterboard the ceiling. I managed , eventually to get up 3 full sheets and a half sheet. I also put in dwangs, which you guffs call noggins for some reason, to catch the edges of the sheets. Anyway those sheets are feckin heavy, especially when you are trying to climb a pair of steps with a sheet balanced on your head and held with one hand, with a pair of fuct knees. 

But its done now, they are up, so stop whinging Billy and get on with it I said to myself at no point.

Now I next got all the 3x2 timbers (I refuse to go metric where wood is concerned, its 3x2 not bloody 74 by 49 or whatever. 

Sorted out the straight ones from the bannanas and started cutting them to size.

I'm making up panels, which will be easier to put up. They are 2.4 metres  wide by 2.4 metres high each panel and there will be 4 at this size. and 2 smaller ones. They will consist of 13mm OSB - insulation- plasterboard - taped- painted white, so I can see what I'm pottering about at. 

The OSB was, er, how can I put this.......liberated, yes liberated form a job I worked on a few years ago, but is only 11 or 13 mm. I would have prefferred 18mm but you can only steal‚Äč, er liberate whats there.

The insulation I blagged from aa bloke who kindly insulated my house and had a couple of rolls left over, and a couple of rolls which have been in the loft since my house was presumably built, and the builders couldn't be arsed removing. 

Three cheers for lazy builders. 

As they used to say in best blue peter fashion, - heres one I made earlier

Now a word of warning here, don't get too stoned when you are doing this shit, it quadruples the time you take to get anything donr when you are wandering around looking for tools, screwdrivers, hammers, tape measure (favourite this one) and pencils. I left the hammer on top of the steps, and when I went to move the steps, the hammer bounced down a couple of steps before bouncing off the rubber hammer and hitting me square in the bollocks. 

Bloody hell it brought tears to me eyes. 

Anyway ive another three of these panels to make so I better get on. 

mon the DIY.

now where is that f*cking tape/ pencil, saw etc............

To be continued..................................

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, smokin soul and 14 others like this

#2 Horse Badorties

Horse Badorties

Buddist Punk

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Love a nice DIY, billy, that panel looks like it will be fun to handle by yourself... I'd need at least 3 union carpenters to put that up :lol:

Oh, and by the way, your tape measure is under the panel... isn't it always :pimped:

• The Dude Abides, denots, W.S and 7 others like this

#3 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Horse, mate. 

I got it. 

the panel is not too bad, I lifted it to check clearance and its a touch tight , but nothing the "big hammer" wont sort ha ha. 

I'm gonna put them up like this, then insulate and plasterboard/ sheetrock them when they are up. 

I always take about 2 or 3 of each thing when I'm building stuff. It goes on a kinda "rotational loss" thing.

That's another panel done, bit wquicker now ive got one to work off. I'm having to take lengthy breaks tho because my knees are wrecked and kneeling on them is like kneeling on glass.

But needs must, I'm not paying someone to do it am I? I'm far too frugal for that sorta shenanigans.

I think it will be a perfect place when its done, it should be about 4 metres by 2.4m by 2.4 high, so I shouldn't run out of head room. 

Its a long term project. I'm really hoping it will be very quiet when its done. I might well end up double sheeting the garage door side, with a resilliant bar between to dampen any noise. 

I'm also gonna be making another twin variac controller, so I can run a pair of huge 12 inch fans for out take, and a 8 inch intake. these will hopefully run at about 50-70% depending on how many lights I use. 

I am waiting for variacs, which are on back order, so it wont get done for a couple of months, but it should be mega when it is........I hope. 

I also had a huge sheet of acoustic foam which I planned to put between the framing and the floor, but I cant find it now........maybe I tidied up and threw it out- bloody typical eh?

• The Dude Abides, smokin soul, denots and 10 others like this

#4 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

nice diy ;)  i do love some good diy , two  315mm fans ! thats a lot of air movement :P it going to be be nice and quiet if you do the same as me? fans bigger than you need so u can turn em down right? ,  its a big space very nice ,  ill follow along your build , you cant beat a good twin variac controller  total control is what you get  perfect ,

keep on diying!!

• The Dude Abides, denots, W.S and 7 others like this

#5 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Great stuff BBBB, top workmanship I reckon.

Good idea to put a bed in the corner for your afternoon nap.

All good things

TDA

• denots, W.S, fairy and 6 others like this

#6 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

You're almost a force of nature, Billy :D I reckon if they fire up old sparky you'll be sitting there thinking of growing m8! :lol:

Fair play to you though... That's a really lovely space :pimped: Not going to say what I'd do as it'd only confuse you & you seem to have an idea where you're going with it already... Don't want to give you dilemmas m8  :D

Following with interest... Get yourself some knee pads for skateboarding etc ;)

• The Dude Abides, denots, W.S and 6 others like this

#7 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

im always open to suggestions MDS mate, Ive only got a sketch on a bit of paper so far

Not sure how well it will come out. I'm not decided on 6 lights, I think 4 are more realistic  and will be more than enough to be honest.
I'm also unsure about having a veg room drying room too, because that's more plants and I don't need any more. So it might just end up one big area, which is fine, cos I'm always running out of room.

I'm having a day off today because my knees are killing me.

WIll get some panels up tomorrow. Hopefully there will be less nosey bastards about tomorrow.

Anybody else get this? People walking past your house and cant help but to gawk at whatever you are doing?

it pissses me off no end. I had a bird yesterday checking out what I was doing,staring as she walked by,  even craning her neck back a good 20 metres from where I was standing, in case she missed something, so I shouted out to her " Hiyaaaaa, do I know you", knowing full well that I don't.  She kept on walking,...... nosey c*nt.

The place I live in is full of them. I sometimes like to taunt them, by coming out with random stuff, just to get them to fuck off. I was digging the garden one day and this nosey old c*nt comes along and stops to watch the show -not much of a show, unless you're into hairy bum cracks, but the bingo wasn't on for a few hours so this was obviously more entertaining. After a sociable "hello", he follows up with stating the bloody obvious -, you're digging are you" from him , I replied with a stone cold stare and "yeah, ive got next doors cat  to dispose of". That got rid of him.

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, smokin soul and 8 others like this

#8 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Have you ever thought about hanging the lights vertically?

With the kind of space you have there I think two sets of lights, placed where I marked them, would work pretty well ;) A couple of 600W lamps stacked on top of each other, or maybe 1KW tubes if you're up to it...

That'd give you more headroom & you could grow BIG trees, like a certain Heath Robinson...

Just a thought... It's what I'd like to try sometime... It'd be nice to have the plants on slowly rotating platforms as well, to get thev most from the lights :) While that may well not be too hard, doing it with a hydro system brings up a few problems :lol:

Attached File  gallery_1277_562_105165.jpg   62.92KB   0 downloads

#9 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

In fact if you're willing to go the non bubbler route, you could do a hydro grow precisely as I said dead easily :D

I just worked it out & it'd work a treat...

Fair sized deep tray for each plant, then a stand in the middle so that the rotating platform is above the edge of the tray so it can be driven & turn... Pot on the top of the rotating platform with a pipe out the side so water drops into the tray... Outlet from the tray to a pump to push it back into the reservoir..

If you're worried about the string getting wet simply make something with say small guttering upside down to cover it if water comes out the pipe as it's passing over the string... Drip ring feeding the plant, drip ring attached to the tray or possibly the stand under the turntable....

It's a piece of piss :lol: You just need a motorized stand as used in window displays, just the one could drive all the pots around as they're torquey as all hell turning so slow...

In fact I'd cooltube the damn lights & have them moving up & down as well as turning the plants! :D

You read it here first, I'm seriously thinking about converting my 1.2M tent to vertical & doing this myself.... ;)

Attached File  Image1.jpg   102.63KB   0 downloads

E2A:- if you're wondering what to use for making the rotating stands then google or eBay "lazy susan! :D

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, denots and 5 others like this

#10 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

I used to grow around double stacked 600s and used to get some great results . Rotating the plants was a chore lazy susans would of been great

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, wood, farty bits, fuck the police

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.