150 replies to this topic

#1 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

So I am planning on building a new light for the new room. I had been planning on using all cobs but now I'm leaning towards using the 4 5oook cobs I have in between 6 of the 3oook quantum boards all strapped to an aluminum heatsink. I have drivers all picked out and have sourced everything I just need to pull the trigger on the main leds.

Where I'm still up in the air is suplimenting photo red and far red. I just need to figure out how much of each I want to add to my ~1200w max of white light and if I should add other colors.

I am in a 4x6 space and want to run all of the lights soft for maximum efficiency. I'll slap together a sketch of the layout I plan on using.

Edit: planning on using cree xpe2 LEDs for the colors and solacure t12's for UVB.

Edited by Elevator dude, 30 June 2018 - 03:18 PM.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 2 others like this

#2 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Where I'm still up in the air is suplimenting photo red and far red. I just need to figure out how much of each I want to add to my ~1200w max of white light and if I should add other colors.

What is photo red & what do you mean by far red?

I'm going to be making my own LED lights using COB chips myself... Red that the plant will respond well to is 630nm & better still 660nm, so I intend to use both :) Anything of a longer wavelength is effectively going into the infra red & I'm not interested in adding any heat to the room...

Blues I'll be using 430nm (indigo) & 460nm

UV I'll be using a few much smaller 10W 390nm chips

I'll be adding some 50W green COBs too, just so I can crank them up & produce white light if it helps at all, probably just for pics, but I'd rather have the green than find I should have installed it..

Like you I'll be running them pretty soft for maximum efficiency... But I won't be purchasing any drivers as I'll design & build my own..

• Dekay, 2scoops, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#3 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Far reds are for flower iniation and photo reds are 660nm.
  • Dekay, 2scoops and Horse Badorties like this

#4 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

Far reds are for flower iniation and photo reds are 660nm.

So you're talking about light that is deeper than 660nm for this far red stuff.... If you're only using it to initiate flowering it seems a pretty expensive way of doing it...

Is it 830nm or something daft like that? I have seen some so called full spectrum chips listing around that wavelength ;)

• Dekay, 2scoops and Horse Badorties like this

#5 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

https://www.rapidled...-e-far-red-led/

They are 730-740nm
  • Dekay, Solo Quin, MDS and 1 other like this

#6 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hmmmm, that wouldn't really be any kind of heat... I'm going to have to look into this :)

Cheers

• Dekay and Horse Badorties like this

#7 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

They are run for 15 mins after lights out to put plants to sleep. I want to find out how many I would need to run to get the desired result and see if it's worth the cost.

#8 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

They are run for 15 mins after lights out to put plants to sleep. I want to find out how many I would need to run to get the desired result and see if it's worth the cost.

Probably not a lot!

If the other lights are out then anything the plant can "see" will appear quite bright to it... Well logic kind of tells me that at any rate...

Best both of us do a little reading, probably :D

E2A:- Better not be a lot as they are seriously expensive... I thought the 660nm & 430nm was bad, but these take the pee!

#9 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

I don't get it... Why would you want to use single LEDs like that when you're going COB?

Surely you'd want to use a COB chip to do the 730nm? :)

Looking about you could pick up 4 x 10W chips for under $30... The 100W chips are bloody expensive :o

I couldn't find any 660nm 100W COBs on that site, but it's does admittedly have a shite navigation system :lol: There's no search...

#10 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Much reading to be done my friend, I'm just getting started on the planning.

Here is a little sketch of where I am at pre research.

Attached File  20180630_124155.jpg   73.66KB   0 downloads
  • Dekay, Solo Quin and Horse Badorties like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.