150 replies to this topic

#11 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Much reading to be done my friend, I'm just getting started on the planning.

Here is a little sketch of where I am at pre research.

attachicon.gif20180630_124155.jpg

That'll sure look like an interesting assembly...

I'm just going to use COB chips... 100W 660nm, 100W 630nm, 100W 460nm, 50W 430nm & 10W 390nm

Greens to make white will be 50W as they appear to be a lot more efficient than the reds or blues.

So the idea is to bolt one of each to a heatsink & then 4 of those heatsinks arrayed to cover the grow chamber...

I'll be extracting from the chamber through the heatsinks so there's zero heat input to the chamber.... Seems like a waste of time having fans blow warm air around off of the heatsinks when the whole idea is to get rid of the damn heat :lol:

• Dekay and Horse Badorties like this

#12 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Heat removal is going to be phase 2 of my r&d for this project.

#13 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Heat removal is going to be phase 2 of my r&d for this project.

Would you like me to show you how I'm going to do it, before you go ahead & spend lots of money?

A quick drawing & a pic should give you a pretty good idea ;)

It's all mapped out in my head, the only thing I have to do really is design the drivers, but they're pretty much worked out in my head too... None of this is impossible :D

• Dekay, 2scoops and Horse Badorties like this

#14 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

I would love to hear what you have planned, as long as you don't mind me stealing your ideas.

This is why I am on a website like this, to learn and share my mistakes.
  • Dekay, 2scoops, MDS and 2 others like this

#15 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

I would love to hear what you have planned, as long as you don't mind me stealing your ideas.

This is why I am on a website like this, to learn and share my mistakes.

I don't mind anybody stealing my ideas, or using them, expanding on them etc...

I'd hardly offer to show you if I was anally retentive :D Besides which I'll no doubt do a build thread anyway...

But seeing as you're already in the process of designing yours, it might be best to see this so you have more choices...

I'll get something up for you by sometime tomorrow :)

• Dekay, 2scoops, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#16 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

My goal with this is to build a light that will last as long as the chips I put in it. I have been holding out waiting for the cxb, vero, citizen (current gen) cobs to be upgraded but seeing the numbers on the quantum boards I want to play with them.

What I'm using now grows great pot but I see where it could be improved in almost every category and that kinda drives me nuts.
  • Dekay, MDS, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#17 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

I don't mind anybody stealing my ideas, or using them, expanding on them etc...

I'd hardly offer to show you if I was anally retentive :D Besides which I'll no doubt do a build thread anyway...

But seeing as you're already in the process of designing yours, it might be best to see this so you have more choices...

I'll get something up for you by sometime tomorrow :)

No rush at all, taking my time on this one and enjoying the ride.

#18 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

My goal with this is to build a light that will last as long as the chips I put in it. I have been holding out waiting for the cxb, vero, citizen (current gen) cobs to be upgraded but seeing the numbers on the quantum boards I want to play with them.

What I'm using now grows great pot but I see where it could be improved in almost every category and that kinda drives me nuts.

You'll find if the chips are driven soft then the first thing to fail will be the drivers, so invest in quality ones :) Not sure what you'll be able to get hold of, but I know Meanwell are good!

I used to deal with some of their SMPS where I used to work & they were very well designed!

Make sure you get a "constant current" driver...

LEDs are semiconductors... As they heat up their forward voltage drops, so the only way of maintaining the precise settings you set them to is by using a constant current source!

If you get a voltage controlled driver & the LEDs heat up then the current will increase through them & thus they'll get hotter... Because they have gotten hotter the forward voltage drops some more & more current will flow through them, so they heat up more & more current again flows through them...

It ends up with the LEDs dying...

Always use constant current! It's the only safe way to drive them...

Like I say, I'll get you a pic or two up tomorrow & a drawing so you see what my plans are for the light assembly :)

#19 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

My other goal is to replicate the increasing and decreasing of the intensity of the sun.

Something like
5000k cobs come on

then the 3000k quantums half an hour later

10 minutes later the 660nm reds

a half an hour of uvb(increasing weekly) right in the middle

Reverse it and add 15 mins of the 730nm far red after everything goes out.

That's just a matter of playing with timers and maybe it's just playing in general. Not sure if there is any benefit to this over just hitting them full blast for the entirety of the "day".
  • Dekay, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#20 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

Meanwell all the way and I'll take the time to talk to rapid or cutter or whoever I get them from and get thier recommendations. I learned a long time ago it's usually worth it to spend the money the first time rather than go cheap and replace later.

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.