#1 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Hello my fine fellow ganja farmers.

im looking for some help with some diy .

im looking to build a DIY flood and drain brainpot., to save having to spend 150 odd quid on a built one. Its for a mate who has killed 2 bought ones, and doesn't fancy more loss.

Now how hard can it be I asked myself?

very, if you are a electro-tard like myself.

As far as I can see the bought ones probably just consist of a segment or digital 24 hr  timer, 2 float switches, step down transformer ( mobile charger)na small pump and a couple of relays,a solenoid or 2  er maybe....

Any one ever built one?

or got a wiring diagram and parts list for a DIY job?

so far

or fancy helping a brother out?

cheers

• Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#2 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

Here is what im thinking about. 

From the wall socket, a 13A plug into a trailing lead. From trailing lead, plug in phone charger. Use phone charger ends topower small circuit board,  activate relays from float switches, but I don't know how. . and then....god knows...…..

maybe using something like this for relays

https://www.ebay.co....bIAAOSwuMZbm5te

https://www.ebay.co....-QAAOSwbihaKTwM

and 

https://www.ebay.co....353.m1438.l2649

#3 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

You mean like the IWS systems, @bigbadbillybob?

I can kind of see how they work by looking at them and their instructions, but I reckon making one would be a lot more expensive and involve a lot more faffing about than some other setups (and they look like they could flood the house, too ;) )

I could probably put together a diagram similar to the one @Marcus found (although perhaps with just one pump and three float valves) if you like, but I'd go for something simpler if it's an option (space for a reservoir under the pots), and one that can't do any damage even if the pump stays stuck on and everything else fails :)
  • duke, bigbadbillybob, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#4 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi @bigbadbillybob ... Does this help.?

http://www.aquahub.c...1WebEdition.pdf

:)

Can I post a link to another forum here?

that does help, a lot.

can you pmmethe link to another forum buddy?

• duke, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#5 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

You mean like the IWS systems, @bigbadbillybob?

I can kind of see how they work by looking at them and their instructions, but I reckon making one would be a lot more expensive and involve a lot more faffing about than some other setups (and they look like they could flood the house, too ;) )

I could probably put together a diagram similar to the one @Marcus found (although perhaps with just one pump and three float valves) if you like, but I'd go for something simpler if it's an option (space for a reservoir under the pots), and one that can't do any damage even if the pump stays stuck on and everything else fails :)

I would prefer a separate brain pot, not under the level of the pots more like the iws systwm , 

why would it need 3 float switches, would it not just need a hi level for when pots reach full, and a low level in brain to tell pump to stop pumping back to res>/I was thinking 2 pumps, one in the brain pot and 1in the res.

res one to fill brain, and obviously pots, and brain pump to  return nutes to res.

not had a proper look at Marcuss diagram.to be honest, im a bit baked

• duke, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#6 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:40 PM

why would it need 3 float switches, would it not just need a hi level for when pots reach full, and a low level in brain to tell pump to stop pumping back to res>/I was thinking 2 pumps, one in the brain pot and 1in the res.

You could use two, but I'd have three in the brain - One high level to switch off the the fill pump when the brain and the pots are full; one low-level to switch off the drain pump when they're empty; and a backup/fail-safe on the fill pump to reduce the chance of emptying the entire contents of the reservoir all over the floor.

I wouldn't have one in the reservoir.

You could use one pump if you made the fill inlent low-level so that it works under gravity, and you could use a motorized valve or some sort of solenoid-operated thing to open it, but there's maybe not much advantage to be had there.

#7 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:41 PM

Can I post a link to another forum here?

It's always been OK in the past :)
  • bigbadbillybob, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#8 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:33 AM

Here is what im thinking about.

That could work :)

The only thing that sticks out is that the board is 24 Volts and a phone charger won't do that, and 24 Volts is pretty unusual for a plug-in adapter so might be difficult to find/pricey.

Maybe look for a 12 Volt version instead and get a cheap mains adapter to run it, and I'll draw it up for you tomorrow :)

If you could find at least one float switch that operates the other way (so it's on when the arm is bent) then you might be able to drain a bit closer to the bottom of the brain/pots.

Well, I said "the only thing", but that's two, and here's a third... The resolution of the timer will determine the minimum flood time, and that one looks like it's 15 minutes, which seems long to me.

The timer doesn't have to be 240 Volt or carry the pump supplies though so you could get a 12 Volt digital panel-mount thing instead if you wanted finer control (and perhaps a better appearence, depending on your taste).

Keep an eye out for the number of switch times they can manage per day though - Most of those seem to say 16, which I suspect means "8 on/off cycles" - That's probably enough, I think, but you may have other plans :)
  • bigbadbillybob, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#9 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

That could work :)

The only thing that sticks out is that the board is 24 Volts and a phone charger won't do that, and 24 Volts is pretty unusual for a plug-in adapter so might be difficult to find/pricey.

Maybe look for a 12 Volt version instead and get a cheap mains adapter to run it, and I'll draw it up for you tomorrow :)

I will see if I can find something suitable maybe something like this?

If you could find at least one float switch that operates the other way (so it's on when the arm is bent) then you might be able to drain a bit closer to the bottom of the brain/pots.

I will have a look for one. I know what you mean, the float switch in the down position at the bottom of the bucket will probably take up about 30mm of space, meaning there will always be 30mm of water in the pots, not ideal.

Well, I said "the only thing", but that's two, and here's a third... The resolution of the timer will determine the minimum flood time, and that one looks like it's 15 minutes, which seems long to me.

15 minute flood times will be fine. I am planning adding an airstone to each pot so it will turn on when the pump starts to fill and turn off when it starts to drain. because it will be oxygenated, then 15 minutes full will work out ok. I should have said this before

The timer doesn't have to be 240 Volt or carry the pump supplies though so you could get a 12 Volt digital panel-mount thing instead if you wanted finer control (and perhaps a better appearence, depending on your taste).

Keep an eye out for the number of switch times they can manage per day though - Most of those seem to say 16, which I suspect means "8 on/off cycles" - That's probably enough, I think, but you may have other plans :)

mains adaptor like this maybe

https://www.ebay.co....00ryT9HvTYiPNHg

#10 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

and since we are allowed to link other sites, heres Marcus' link. it looks a bit complicated, fora thicko like me.

https://www.icmag.co...?t=92963&page=2

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.