• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

@The Clone Ranger i use one of these which are perfecty hum free gone up a bit since i got mine but imo worth the cost,

https://www.ebay.co....=item27a5afc5f9

it can be wired to a climate control as well,good luck

• 2scoops, W.S, The Clone Ranger and 3 others like this

#22 The Clone Ranger

The Clone Ranger

THE YORKSHIRE PUDDING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

just been looking at them on amazon seems thats the prices think ebay you can get a 6amp for price you and get 1.5amp unit 

• 2scoops, duke, W.S and 2 others like this

#23 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

These are good, too, @The Clone Ranger

Enclosed Variable Autotransformer for Bench Mounting

Or if you're mounting it in a box, the open type might be more suitable.

They're a bit more expensive than the step-wise offerings but they give fully-variable control and will handle a bit more power (not that that's likely to be an issue with most fans).
  • 2scoops, duke, W.S and 3 others like this

#24 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

its honestly a piece of piss (once Missy sorted out my electro-tatd-ness with the relay).

there are ones on ebay, but they are twice as expensive as making your own, so why not do it. yerself? 

I can rustle up a wiring diagram so simple that even I can follow it, kinda. its in colour so its easy to use.

a twin fan (intake and out take) with temperature controller works out about 150 sheets to buy all the bits , but will out perform any 150 quid controller for sale. 

Its really heavy as the variacs weigh a couple of kilos each

#25 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

the open type are cheaper by nearly 20 sheets.(did itell you I was tight)?

Just means you would need to mount them in an IP enclosure box.

#26 Solo Quin

Solo Quin

Organically High

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

Nice thread @bigbadbillybob, just the ticket can fix my old 4 rvk saved as I thought this was possible if the bearings are available at a good price.

I have just finished wiring the 5 speed fan controller that MDS mentioned, it works ok I didn't notice any hum either. 

• 2scoops, duke, W.S and 4 others like this

#27 madgoose

madgoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

"... There are a couple of differences amongst RVK fans depending on the fan size and the age of the fan. On this one there is a central cover for the bearings and shaft, its a silver part in the centre of the fan motor about the size of a small coin.

Other fans will have a cover plate which can be removed by levering a screwdriver under it.

This one tho is a pain in the ass. I ended up hitting it with the screwdriver to poke a dent in it and allow it to come away from the sides for removal, after attempts to lever it, or lift it will a small scalpel failed"...

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to write this article, it is a big help especially the references for th new bearings. FYI I was able to remove the small silver cap instantly using a pair of crocodile pliers by gripping the inner and outer edge and pulling up. But that circlip is a ...

***UPDATE*** the circlip is no challenge for the good ole croc pliers, firm grip and a swift yank up and the circlip and both spring washers flew around the room. New challenge is to find the circlip!

Edited by madgoose, 22 September 2020 - 03:24 PM.

• 2scoops, duke, W.S and 1 other like this

#28 madgoose

madgoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:03 PM

Quick question. I am not going to be changing my bearings on this occasion they feel good with no play, I just needed a good thorough clean up. Having followed your directions I have manged to strip the fan down to it's components which had allowed me to wash the plastics parts and the black fan blade section in the bath. It has then been thoroughly wiped over with tea towels and kitchen paper and then left in the sunshine in the garden for several hours so it has thoroughly dried. Would you suggest using WD-40, penetrating oil like 3-1 or a grease if at all, on the spindle and the inside section of the black fan blade assembly where the motor is housed, or would you leave it dry?

Also do you know the size of the circlip, I cannot fing the little bugger anywhere so I may need to source a replacement for an RVK 150 A1?

Thanks in advance.

• 2scoops, duke and Horse Badorties like this

#29 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,525 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

Quick question. I am not going to be changing my bearings on this occasion they feel good with no play, I just needed a good thorough clean up. Having followed your directions I have manged to strip the fan down to it's components which had allowed me to wash the plastics parts and the black fan blade section in the bath. It has then been thoroughly wiped over with tea towels and kitchen paper and then left in the sunshine in the garden for several hours so it has thoroughly dried. Would you suggest using WD-40, penetrating oil like 3-1 or a grease if at all, on the spindle and the inside section of the black fan blade assembly where the motor is housed, or would you leave it dry?

Also do you know the size of the circlip, I cannot fing the little bugger anywhere so I may need to source a replacement for an RVK 150 A1?

Thanks in advance.

I`m not BBBB but i`d say use grease, why ? cus that what its for and WD40 isn`t grease and is just for freeing shit up and such like so it won`t hang around long on your bearings and after a whatever, let`s say a few days, cus we can, but it`s not gonna be long before those bearings are gonna be running without anything like grease on so not a good fix, where as bearing grease or even vaseline which i used to use on my bikes for bearings will be around slipping "n" a sliding those bearing around for time. :)

• Horse Badorties likes this

#30 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

i wouldnt be using grease, its wet, and shi*t just sticks to it.

if you can find graphite spray, use that, its kinda dry and works well, if not use wd40, its not bad at silencing things

sorry mate i dont know the size of the circlip on the 6 inch fan, but i reckon it shouldnt be hard to measure with some vernier calipers/guage.

cheers

• 2scoops and Horse Badorties like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RVK fan noise, boobs, fartybits

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.