#1 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

Howzitguan?

My t5 lights have packed in light up for a brief second then dead. Checked all connections etc all good. Opened it up to find two ballasts and not much else. Priced the ballasts at 13 quid each.

Now do you thing its worth repairing, or are they generally shit? Any good alternative lights for veg that I could consider?

Any advice appreciated.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, denots and 2 others like this

#2 jimmi2scoops

jimmi2scoops

• Administrators
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

I`ve had and use a Lightwave t-5 for many years for clones and early vegging and i never had any problems with ballasts, tbh i never knew they had ballasts built in. Post a link Austin would ya cus i sometimes get a flicker at start up but i just twist bulb doing flickering and bingo it works.

You could always look at blue spec led of some kind for vegging, i do like look of those single COB led that Forest makes, i would think you`d wan`t summink around 7000k (blue light) for jobby. :)

• Dekay, denots, Austin and 3 others like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Administrators
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

Ballasts ob fluorescent tubes do burn out and are cheaper to replace than a brand new fitting. They are the little round ones yeah?
Just remember that you can use a bog standard lamp with led or cfl bulb ib to keep baby's alive for a week or so as thwu don't need all that much light, just the number of hours.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, denots and 4 others like this

#4 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

I think it unlikely that both sets of gear would have failed at the same time so my initial thought would probably be that one of the ballasts has blown and taken out the fuse in the plug. It's also conceivable that a couple of tubes have gone rather than the control gear, but that would also require the simultaneous failure of two items so is perhaps more unlikely.

I'd make sure the fuse in the plug is OK and then disconnect one of the ballasts and switch the unit on.

If it worked then all well and good for that ballast and those tubes so I'd move on to the second one.

If it failed then I'd check the fuse in the plug again and if that was still OK I'd try swapping the tubes one at a time to see if that helped. (Could involve lots of playing unless you have two known-good tubes to test with.)

If the fuse failed then it's likely that the ballast being tested needs replacing.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 6 others like this

#5 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

Ballasts ob fluorescent tubes do burn out and are cheaper to replace than a brand new fitting. They are the little round ones yeah?
Just remember that you can use a bog standard lamp with led or cfl bulb ib to keep baby's alive for a week or so as thwu don't need all that much light, just the number of hours.

Aye I've moved things about in the groom, babies under a 250w hps now, thank god for adjustable ballast units. That should be fine until i get the t5 going again.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#6 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for suggestions folks much appreciated, I'll have a another go at it now, see if I can identify if/which one of the ballasts has gone.

I've two known good tubes so should be able to come to some conclusion, probably, maybe, might be, should do, must be.
  • Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#7 Austin

Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Result.

Thats me back up and running turns out it had blown two tubes, I had freaked out and thought it was fucked, so we will call it a ID10T error if that's ok with you guys?

Funny how all 4 were out. I live in a very remote area and powercuts are fairly regular, maybe that's not helped. Thanks for the advice folks especially Annonymis for taking the time to respond in detail.
Cheers now.
  • Budgie, Dekay, jimmi2scoops and 6 others like this

#8 Horse Badorties

Horse Badorties

Buddist Punk

• Moderators
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

Glad to hear you worked it out @Austin. I don't know if it's the same over there, especially since we don't normally have fuses in the cord ends, but there's instant on ballasts, and ones that flicker before starting up. I had a t5 that went through 2 instant on ballasts, and after a bit of reading, it seems that besides the instant on feature being harder on ballasts, they also make the tubes life shorter.

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, duke and 4 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.