15 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

I've been scanning back on your previous grows @LegalizeMe to see if anything jumps out at me as being the cause of your water issues with high and rising ph and associated deficiencies / toxicities.

The things that stood out, looking at your groom build, and it was a good build btw, was that you seem to have an old house? With soft water (low on natural ca/mg) and have a high ph from the tap. I suspect your water co is adding stuff to keep it high so it is safe because of old pipes/mains and the dangers of leaching when water is acidic. And this might have totally buffered the water already making it hard to keep under control.

If that's the case, then im not sure if the two filters youve linked will help (but give them a try, well, the cheaper hose atty) They are for particulate removal and chloramine neutralisation but im not 100% convinced that is your issue.

I think it might be the addition of sodium hypochlorite for disinfection, zinc orthophosphate as a corrosion inhibitor, sodium hydroxide for pH adjustment, and fluoride for tooth decay prevention. For treatment systems which add fluoride to tap water, a buffer is further necessary - the most commonly used additive for fluoride is fluorosilicic acid. Now, although this might make water potable or 'safe' to drink, it might be crap for hydroponic / passive hydroponic growing.

Can you nip to your local water co and download a WQR, Water quality report, that way you can find out what's being added to it and be better placed to sort out the problem.

Not that i necessarily know how to do that lol, im lucky and have good water, plenty of ca/mg in (but not too much as to cause bad limescale and scummy tea, and 6.5 straight from the tap.
  • The Dude Abides, LegalizeMe, W.S and 3 others like this

#2 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:01 PM

Not really, just the softness of the water.

a wqr details everything that the water co puts into the water over 12 months by area, and if there have been any 'interventions' where emergency treatments have been used, its quite detailed.
  • The Dude Abides, W.S, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

He says^^^ as you edit in and add a few more charts :rofl:

Thats better, and the sodium amd sulphate numbers do look much higher than anything else.

Id have a google about to see what is good to remove them, probably Reverse Osmosis though.
  • The Dude Abides, LegalizeMe, W.S and 1 other like this

#4 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Kin ell i can see into the future without realising :)
  • The Dude Abides, duke, LegalizeMe and 3 others like this

#5 bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

if it bothers you that much, then go visit growers ark nutrients.

They will tailor the feed to your water system, I think you have to send them a sample for analysis, because apparently the local water authorities are known to lie, and having seen some of the bud grown with thier nutrients, it looks most decent.

Might save you buying filters and the like. 

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 5 others like this

#6 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

@LegalizeMe, the only thing ive been able to find so far, is to ph down your water, bubble it for 36hrs, ph it down again, bubble for another 24 hours, ph it down again and bubble it for 12 hours, by which time it should have stabilised and most of the sodium should be gone. That means youll need two reservoirs, one being prepped for 5 days, one being used for 5 days, then swap.

This assumes, that the sodiums and ph swings are the cause of your problems.

Another thing though, that ive heard of but never seen in action. Is to fill your res. Ph it right down to say 4. Then ph it up to 8 again, and then finally ph it down to 5.8 (or whatever is applicable to your grow method) where it should stay stable. This would be an easier method to start with. If it works to stabilise your ph, then any subsequent issues in the grow should be easier to identify.
  • The Dude Abides, duke, LegalizeMe and 4 others like this

#7 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

I've been reading of late how a guy with high background ec in his water at one of his grow houses . He finds a led grow is affected more from the defs than a hps grow and he now sticks with the hps there . He had hard water with a background ec of 0.8
I've had problems my self with hard water . But as u have soft is s bit different.
Is there link to a diary that shows the problems up the best ?
  • Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 5 others like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

I've been reading of late how a guy with high background ec in his water at one of his grow houses . He finds a led grow is affected more from the defs than a hps grow and he now sticks with the hps there . He had hard water with a background ec of 0.8
I've had problems my self with hard water . But as u have soft is s bit different.
Is there link to a diary that shows the problems up the best ?

my water is so hard you need hammer and chisel just to make a cup of tea!inside of my kettle needs descaling every fortnight without fail,bg anything from .50-.90 and i never have defs dutch pro coco specific nutes for hard water is one of the cheapest but most reliable no def formulas that work,peace

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, W.S and 2 others like this

#9 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

What is the back ground ec of the software out of interest

Duke I've seen more than once that the cal in some very hard waters can be not suitable for plants in that is not plant soluble. Ie: the size of the cal is to big and throwing cal mag at that situation can lead to more problems of lock outs in mg.
I think I've had this my self ..... But who knows It could be my own skills failing me lol.
I bought a 60 quid eBay RO unit and my plants defo improved with the total control it gave me . I've been thinking of going back to one
  • Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 3 others like this

#10 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

I've seen on a few sites that say 24hours for standing water this allows the ph to stabilise .
if I knock up nutes with out the tap tap water I can garanty the ph will change in a few hours .
also once u knock nutes up and set the ph then leave that for 12to 24h then re ph ,another 12 if it stable use it. if it's just a point or 2 change it's fine to use

03ec soft water should be fine to use
Mix cal mag first always .
  • Budgie, duke, LegalizeMe and 2 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.