12 replies to this topic

#1 Huktonfonics

Huktonfonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Hello folks. Ive got a mate whos growing in coco using an auto pot system in 60/40 coco/hydroton mix using those bags.

He said he's had root rot on his last 2 grows, and as im not savvy with coco I told him ive got a whole heap of beneficial bacteria stuff Ive not used and that he should try them.

Ive got as follows :

Mycor Root packs

Great White

TNC Mycorr

TNC Bactorr

and a bunch of Morio Worm frass that I keep from my lizard food

Can  he use this in his setup ? If so how best to use it ?

Ive told him to pot up with the Mycorr and sprinkle it around the potting hole, but as these auto pot systems feed from the bottom, im not sure how to use the rest as i dont want him to add it to his res and end up making it worse.

So im thinking Tea and top feed, or is it safe to add to the res ?

I know he uses Sugaree in bloom so im not sure how well thats going to go down with Bene's in the res.

Any insight from the coco gurus appreciated as I dont want to mislead him, and im hoping this may cure his pyth woes if done correctly and give him a nice boost to boot.

Cheers guys / gals

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 1 other like this

#2 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

auto pot are prone to root rot because the roots sit in water all the time  he needs 30 to 40mm(or to just above the highest water line) of clay balls in the bottom of the pots to stop the coco getting so water logged, they will wick the water still but the coco will not get water logged any more!

and he also can fit a timer valve like "alien easyfeed" auto pot system have done to theres,  to stop the autos pots being flooded all the time you can set it to when ever you want to flood

you should really  keep auto pots sterile in the res, if you  introduce any organic substance in a autopot res the feed tube is a small bore and organic substance will fur up and block it , it leads to house floods ive seen a few on the web,

better hand feed bennies and organics from the top imo , 

ive been bottom feeding for a year or more now and i like the method,

i use fabric pots with coco with organic substances (worm poo and charge) and tnc tea  or great white bennies once a week ,i feed fishmix early on from the top as bennie food  and mollases later on when flowering for bennie food , a drop of sea weed here and there in veg and foliar feeds, it works great for flavours the nice organic flavours in coco ,

my res stays sterile  but in my case i have a 13mm bore on the feed pipe and i can add organics i just havent yet is early days with the easyfeed for me

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 4 others like this

#3 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

hi i dont think bennys realy work in coco as you have no microherd like soil does ime root rot is so rare in coco as to be nearly impossible but only way it would happen is poor drainage ie plants sitting in run of for extended periods,or contaminated water source good luck,peace

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Forest and 3 others like this

#4 Huktonfonics

Huktonfonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

auto pot are prone to root rot because the roots sit in water all the time  he needs 30 to 40mm(or to just above the highest water line) of clay balls in the bottom of the pots to stop the coco getting so water logged, they will wick the water still but the coco will not get water logged any more!

and he also can fit a timer valve like "alien easyfeed" auto pot system have done to theres,  to stop the autos pots being flooded all the time you can set it to when ever you want to flood

you should really  keep auto pots sterile in the res, if you  introduce any organic substance in a autopot res the feed tube is a small bore and organic substance will fur up and block it , it leads to house floods ive seen a few on the web,

better hand feed bennies and organics from the top imo , 

ive been bottom feeding for a year or more now and i like the method,

i use fabric pots with coco with organic substances (worm poo and charge) and tnc tea  or great white bennies once a week ,i feed fishmix early on from the top as bennie food  and mollases later on when flowering for bennie food , a drop of sea weed here and there in veg and foliar feeds, it works great for flavours the nice organic flavours in coco ,

my res stays sterile  but in my case i have a 13mm bore on the feed pipe and i can add organics i just havent yet is early days with the easyfeed for me

Cheers forest, i think its the easy feed system, grren pipes and a timer, the pipes are much bigger than the standard autopot system. I'll tell him to put a bigger layer of clay in and run the res sterile, i kinda figured top feeding the crown would be his bests bet as Ive done it on a RDWC grow once with no ill effects. i'll try and show him how to brew some tea and top feed once a week.

Colonise with Myco first before you start with the Bactorr right ?

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 4 others like this

#5 Huktonfonics

Huktonfonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

hi i dont think bennys realy work in coco as you have no microherd like soil does ime root rot is so rare in coco as to be nearly impossible but only way it would happen is poor drainage ie plants sitting in run of for extended periods,or contaminated water source good luck,peace

He's a bit of a cowboy so it wouldnt suprise me if its totally saturated. Hes on the same water as me which is low mineral ( 130ppm ) and has chloramine in low levels in aswell, i asked him how often he drys it out and he kinda shrugged at me lol.

I think his main problem is the Sugaree he adds, so i figure if hes adding food for benes with no beneficial bacteria, he may aswell try some and try to out compete the bad shit.

Would it just mean regular top ups because its coco ?

#6 Huktonfonics

Huktonfonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

How thick should the hydroton layer be so as not to saturate the bottom ?

If you know what Silver Bullet is ( its a H2o2 with silver in it, great stuff ) would this be ok to use instead of messing with bene's ?

Edited by Huktonfonics, 10 February 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#7 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:54 PM

yes thats it , i do add rock dust into the coco house the benies in my coco, i dont know if it works or not but it dont hurt , im doing what your not meant to by mixing organic and chems,   but im not the only one and there are great results  from the other forums ive seen,  great white is a favoured product feed every watering and as a root dusting  on pot up , now i dont know if the bennies even live  long but that the idea of a weelys dose

if he has the easy feed  he can put the timer on and run it a bit on the drier side,  and the clay balls are a must above the highest water line  or reduce the float level , im only on my first run with this easyfeed but its the same bottom feeding ive been doing

#8 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

He's a bit of a cowboy so it wouldnt suprise me if its totally saturated. Hes on the same water as me which is low mineral ( 130ppm ) and has chloramine in low levels in aswell, i asked him how often he drys it out and he kinda shrugged at me lol.

I think his main problem is the Sugaree he adds, so i figure if hes adding food for benes with no beneficial bacteria, he may aswell try some and try to out compete the bad shit.

Would it just mean regular top ups because its coco ?

yes that how i see it weekly bennies in the hope they stay alive 

i wouldnt of expected to see rot rot in fabric and coco , he really needs to pay more attention and use the timer so they do get a chance to dry more, not bone dry that just upsets the chemicals,

How thick should the hydroton layer be so as not to saturate the bottom ?

If you know what Silver Bullet is ( its a H2o2 with silver in it, great stuff ) would this be ok to use instead of messing with bene's ?

id stop him adding the sugar thing  and what are you trying to do cure root rot he has  ??  or be preventive? , its known the bennies keep pathogens away  so if u have them use them i think ,

he might of had general poor plant health we dont know and it could be lot of things and not just one  cause if you see what i mean?

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 2 others like this

#9 Huktonfonics

Huktonfonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

yes that how i see it weekly bennies in the hope they stay alive 

i wouldnt of expected to see rot rot in fabric and coco , he really needs to pay more attention and use the timer so they do get a chance to dry more, not bone dry that just upsets the chemicals,

id stop him adding the sugar thing  and what are you trying to do cure root rot he has  ??  or be preventive? , its known the bennies keep pathogens away  so if u have them use them i think ,

he might of had general poor plant health we dont know and it could be lot of things and not just one  cause if you see what i mean?

I honestly dont know where to go from here with him as hes being taught my somone whos having the exact same problems hes having and listening to his " bro science ". I dont want to make his shit worse, but me personally would tell him to sterilise and run sterile.

I think ill just tell him to sack the Sugaree and run a bit of silver bullet through his system, and go from there. Hes just potted up his clones for his next round so he may have a fighting chance. Gave him some RAW Silica, RAW Kelp, RAW Amino acids, RAW Fulvic acid, RAW B-Vitamins ( I love the RAW stuff ), and leave him to it.

Oh, he didnt even sterilise his system after his last bout with pythium <_< so i dont fancy his chances unless he does something.

Edited by Huktonfonics, 10 February 2019 - 10:29 PM.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides and Horse Badorties like this

#10 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

i think the spores prob died by now  , he needs to keep it simple and run sterlie    it the easiest way and change it up once you have mastered growing first

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.