Photo
- - - - -

Fruit Juice over Molasses last two weeks?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Afton

Afton

OLD GUYS RULE!

• Moderators
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

Was just doing some reading on flushing and 1 person said the molasses takes awhile to break down 

and to use Fruit Juice instead because it breaks down faster and the plant gets it  faster.

4 fresh squeezed oranges to 10 liters of water was the recipe.  

Has anyone tried this or heard of anyone dong this?

• Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#2 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Administrators
  • 16,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:22 AM

Personally I dont think adding simple sugars makes a difference its good for microherd but so is topping up the soil with more soil or some other organic shit/mulch so whats it going to do really in a flush, the feeding of the microherd would only make sense if you were still feeding the soil or it still had nutrients in it, to make the roots more efficient at taking up nutrients at a time when there are none sounds a waste to me :)

• 2scoops, duke, Dex and 4 others like this

#3 Afton

Afton

OLD GUYS RULE!

• Moderators
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

I believe they were only using it at the end due to the plant can absorb it faster than Molasses.

My understanding was that Molasses takes longer to break down and might not absorb it all before chop.

I guess the fruit juice is absorbed much faster for the plant to use before chop.

That was my take away. Have you heard of anyone doing it?

• Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#4 Dekay

Dekay

• Administrators
  • 16,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:39 AM

Yes but what is the point of making the micro herd more efficient at taking in nutrients when you are flushing out the nutrients in the soil, adding glucose to soil in any form does not feed the plants they make glucose to store as ATP from photosynthesis and sunlight (grow lights) but it feeds the microbes that inhabit the roots and then they become more efficient at taking up nutrients is why people add sugar so to add it when your flushing does not make sense to me mate :)

• 2scoops, duke, igiggle and 5 others like this

#5 Dekay

Dekay

• Administrators
  • 16,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:40 AM

If your organic use it by all means but make sure your feeding the soil for any tiny benefits if they exist ;)

• 2scoops, duke, Dex and 3 others like this

#6 Afton

Afton

OLD GUYS RULE!

• Moderators
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:49 AM

@Dekay Ya I'm organic so won't flush, but yes feeding the soil every week with Molasses

and every 2 weeks with compost tea.

I'm not going to do it just wanted to know if any has or heard about it.

Just one person saying so doesn't make enough interest in me trying it that's for sure.

• Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 4 others like this

#7 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:47 AM

@Dekay Ya I'm organic so won't flush, but yes feeding the soil every week with Molasses
and every 2 weeks with compost tea.
I'm not going to do it just wanted to know if any has or heard about it.
Just one person saying so doesn't make enough interest in me trying it that's for sure.

Hey buddy funny enough I have few friends that do weird things like

I use raw honey to increase carbs in soil and plant

A friend from Ghana uses pineapple juice for flush because it has lots of sugars (never tried)

I have a Jamaican buddy who uses fizzy water not sure bout carbs but I remeber him saying it cleans soil lol

And I have a Vietnamese buddy who uses coca cola to flush lool

I've tried all of em and coca cola was harshest .. I have no experience in any of em apart from honey... that is the bees knees for flush ime

Only herd I have is kids, dogs and springtails
  • Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 4 others like this

#8 Nefarious Shenanigans

Nefarious Shenanigans

youthful exuberance

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Hey Afton

I was never much of a sugars guy with the organics(except in compost tea), and I agree with what Deeks said there too, any possible benefit would have been weeks ago, by the time you get to flush there is no point IMHO. So basically I opt to breed the microbes in a tea and then feed them to the soil from as early as possible in life, then let them do their job on all the stuff that is there, without added sugar. The sugar just gets them multiplying very quickly in the tea, and once they hit the soil I want them feeding on all the mulch, organic matter, and all the stuff that is bound up by tough matter, releasing fresh nutrients as a drip feed without me doing anything but adding water. Basically simulating nature in a supercharged sorta way I guess

Also my reasoning at the time was pretty much that sugars drive bacterial growth (in tea is the same also)and any balanced system has a lot of fungal going on. Fungal likes complex materials as food to a large degree, and while fungi will grow on simple sugars in a lab, bacteria etc will do that much faster in nature and overpower the balance in the soil. Whether that is good or bad? I dunno TBH. But I tried molasses and sugars at the time and it made no difference for me so I just kept using it exclusively as feedstock in compost tea

At the time everything I was learning about and reading was telling me to drive fungal production upwards as the key to balanced soils that can go many runs (double figures at least)without being replaced, so that is what I was aiming at

never done fruit juice myself but if dex says it works it may be worth some side by side comparison on a couple of similar plants

• Dekay, 2scoops, Dex and 3 others like this

#9 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

Hey Afton

I was never much of a sugars guy with the organics(except in compost tea), and I agree with what Deeks said there too, any possible benefit would have been weeks ago, by the time you get to flush there is no point IMHO. So basically I opt to breed the microbes in a tea and then feed them to the soil from as early as possible in life, then let them do their job on all the stuff that is there, without added sugar. The sugar just gets them multiplying very quickly in the tea, and once they hit the soil I want them feeding on all the mulch, organic matter, and all the stuff that is bound up by tough matter, releasing fresh nutrients as a drip feed without me doing anything but adding water. Basically simulating nature in a supercharged sorta way I guess

Also my reasoning at the time was pretty much that sugars drive bacterial growth (in tea is the same also)and any balanced system has a lot of fungal going on. Fungal likes complex materials as food to a large degree, and while fungi will grow on simple sugars in a lab, bacteria etc will do that much faster in nature and overpower the balance in the soil. Whether that is good or bad? I dunno TBH. But I tried molasses and sugars at the time and it made no difference for me so I just kept using it exclusively as feedstock in compost tea

At the time everything I was learning about and reading was telling me to drive fungal production upwards as the key to balanced soils that can go many runs (double figures at least)without being replaced, so that is what I was aiming at

never done fruit juice myself but if dex says it works it may be worth some side by side comparison on a couple of similar plants

I never tried any method apart from molasses and raw honey .. same thoughts as above molasses is slow to break but honey seems to be straight away available to the plant .. just my thoughts

If last two weeks of flush I would deffo recommend honey for one week then straight water next.. I don't have no micro herds apart from Springtails and I don't think that's micro but deffo a herd lol

But go any seems to go up Good I never tried others I mentioned but I have smoked the buds from those methods...

And sorry Ghanaian was actually from Gambia not Ghana I made a mistake..
  • 2scoops, duke, Horse Badorties and 3 others like this

#10 2scoops

2scoops

In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:32 AM

Was just doing some reading on flushing and 1 person said the molasses takes awhile to break down 

and to use Fruit Juice instead because it breaks down faster and the plant gets it  faster.

4 fresh squeezed oranges to 10 liters of water was the recipe.  

Has anyone tried this or heard of anyone dong this?

None of those :) I would say dextrose (glucose) or white table sugar myself. Dextrose is simplist of sugars and i would say is easiest for plant to take on board. A study i read once upon a time by some scienceY type dude who was actually giving the plants simple sugars intravenously straight into plants stele and the copmparison with or without was quite big, but yes it also said summink along the lines of > the weed plant will hardly take any simple carbs up through roots but a little taken up is better than none. I did use simple sugars quite some at one bit for a carb boost but summink i dont use so much nowadays. As said I can`t see point in molasses that late in bloom it`s more to feed your herd before its any good to plant , Simple sugars are instantly available. :flex:

Their was a recipe Missy gave me for splitting white table sugar (sucrose) back to dextrose and fructose, it was summink along the lines of mixing white sugar with lemon juice at certain ratios and bingo it splits. I mean it`s years old in my nut stuck at back now, but yes fructose gives it a sweeter taste and dextrose is more for a simple carb boost or other way round :rolleyes: . But yes it was one or other. :)

• Dekay, duke, igiggle and 5 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.