Photo
- - - - -

Can you make cannabis oil using 95%vodka?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#71 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Butane should be purged at minimum 110* F (43*C) and a minimum vacuum of -26HG but the closer to -30HG is optimal for 24-72 hours depending on desired consistency. The extract should also be whipped well several times in the first few hours of the purge. If shatter is the goal, the longer the purge the better.
A cool and fast purge with no vacuum makes butane soup. Not something you want to eat, vape, or smoke. This is why so many people are getting sick from black market BHO. Too many amateurs making the stuff and not purging it off properly or using dirty butane not suitable for extracting

I don't do the vacuum thing, but I do keep it moving as it starts to get sticky, and I'll warm it slightly (hand-hot) to keep it moving and help the bubbles pop. It's always left for a couple of days between extraction and dilution, and putting it in a wide, flat dish over a table lamp warms it up nicely, and provides a large surface area :)

I do the same thing with alcohol extractions :)

I would have thought that diluting it with a solvent that isn't miscible with butane would also help to drive off any residual butane.

It may not be perfect, but it's been working for me for quite some time now :)
  • duke, Dex, Afton and 1 other like this

#72 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

id rather use vodka lol but I'm a noob at this lark but the vodka makes me feel a better with being filterd ..

I haven't had good success at pressing rosin because it stays like sticky honey and doesn't harden so makes it harder for me to get it and put it aside to weigh ..

Nd same with measuring oil @missy believe me I wanted to know what that trim got me in my first ever oil run.. well properly lol but it was too much of a mess till I got coconut oil out to clean the knife and blade ..
  • 2scoops, duke, Afton and 1 other like this

#73 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

Yup, just put a sieve over the dish or one of them frying pan splatter mesh things to stop the bugs getting in and a litre of ISO vanishes over night in the warm weather.

Greenhouse window was open and the door ajar too.

I have left it under the garden sun brolly too to evap but that takes a couple or 3 days - I think I just wrapped it in a teatowel for that one then when all the smell has gone of the ISO, pop it on thewindowsill to make sure it's all gone.

:thumbsup:

Thanks buddy I remeber you saying before about the greenhouse thing.. I'll have to try that in next heatwave
  • duke, Afton and no1 like this

#74 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

too much of a mess

Yeah, there is that ;)

You'd do well, in my opinion, to use a wide, flat dish with straight sides, rather than a bowl - something you can get a Stanley knife blade into to scrape the oil up with :)

And if you're evaporating the alcohol off completely then why not use isopropanol? The cost alone is enough for me - £27 for half a litre of spirytus vs. about £16 for 5 litres of iso is quite a difference.
  • 2scoops, duke, Dex and 2 others like this

#75 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, there is that ;)

You'd do well, in my opinion, to use a wide, flat dish with straight sides, rather than a bowl - something you can get a Stanley knife blade into to scrape the oil up with :)

And if you're evaporating the alcohol off completely then why not use isopropanol? The cost alone is enough for me - £27 for half a litre of spirytus vs. about £16 for 5 litres of iso is quite a difference.

It's the filtering system vodka has iso if not all gone it's not good for health.. Plus I'm a noob maybe when i pro up a tad I'll get doing with iso..

Plus the drips I started having I realy enjoy em it just makes sense the extra money spent for me
  • 2scoops, duke, Afton and 1 other like this

#76 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

It's the filtering system vodka has iso if not all gone it's not good for health.. Plus I'm a noob maybe when i pro up a tad I'll get doing with iso..

Plus the drips I started having I realy enjoy em it just makes sense the extra money spent for me

It's not the filtering that makes vodka safe - It's the fact that it's ethanol rather than isopropanol :)

I do get the safety aspect and why that may be a concern - have you considered using wheat ethanol instead of spirytus?

It's going to taste horrid (ask @jimmi2scoops), but that probably won't really matter the way you're using it.
  • 2scoops, duke, Dex and 2 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.