5 replies to this topic

#1 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:58 PM

Just harvested my chives which were about to flower and my mint and oregano which I will dry.

Preserved the chives in butter but in this case cholesterol beneficial margarine to put in the freezer - can also preserve in oil or ice cubes or dry. Just depends on how you usually use your herbs.

Chives

Attached File  chives & butter.jpg   271.68KB   0 downloads

Attached File  chives & butter1.jpg   248.57KB   0 downloads

Attached File  chives & butter2.jpg   208.68KB   0 downloads

Mint (chopped, brown sugar, hot water and vinegar - sorry forgot to take pic of steeping mint in hot water and sugar)

Attached File  mint.jpg   229.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mint2.jpg   275.28KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mint3.jpg   172.31KB   0 downloads

Oregano harvested which I will dry

Attached File  oregano.jpg   156.13KB   0 downloads

• Forest, Doublej, Horse Badorties and 2 others like this

#2 Doublej

Doublej

Upper Left US

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:11 PM

Just harvested my chives which were about to flower and my mint and oregano which I will dry.

Preserved the chives in butter but in this case cholesterol beneficial margarine to put in the freezer - can also preserve in oil or ice cubes or dry. Just depends on how you usually use your herbs.

Chives
attachicon.gifchives & butter.jpg

attachicon.gifchives & butter1.jpg

attachicon.gifchives & butter2.jpg

Mint (chopped, brown sugar, hot water and vinegar - sorry forgot to take pic of steeping mint in hot water and sugar)
attachicon.gifmint.jpg

attachicon.gifmint2.jpg

attachicon.gifmint3.jpg

Oregano harvested which I will dry
attachicon.giforegano.jpg

I luv chives. Do the chives get soggy/mushy in the butter/thingamajigger?

Well done by the way!!🙂
  • Petal, Horse Badorties and Afton like this

#3 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:17 PM

I luv chives. Do the chives get soggy/mushy in the butter/thingamajigger?

Well done by the way!!🙂

I don't know for sure DJ as I've not preserved them before. I wouldn't think they would get mushy as they are in butter (or marg in this case) and then in the freezer and their flavour will diffuse through the butter. If they were preserved in oil I think they would be fine too. I would be suspect of freezing in ice though. I think they would be soggy frozen in ice. I believe we can also dry chives but I wasn't keen to do that as I thought it would lose the flavour. Time will tell if the butter preserve method keeps them nice and flavourful :) Here's hoping! x

ps: I would only use the preserves in my cooking eg knob over steaks, fish or in casseroles, soup etc. If I want chives as a garnish or in salads I would use fresh :)

• Doublej, Horse Badorties and Afton like this

#4 Doublej

Doublej

Upper Left US

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:40 PM

I don't know for sure DJ as I've not preserved them before. I wouldn't think they would get mushy as they are in butter (or marg in this case) and then in the freezer and their flavour will diffuse through the butter. If they were preserved in oil I think they would be fine too. I would be suspect of freezing in ice though. I think they would be soggy frozen in ice. I believe we can also dry chives but I wasn't keen to do that as I thought it would lose the flavour. Time will tell if the butter preserve method keeps them nice and flavourful :) Here's hoping! x

ps: I would only use the preserves in my cooking eg knob over steaks, fish or in casseroles, soup etc. If I want chives as a garnish or in salads I would use fresh :)

Agreed fresh is always better, I've had "dried" chives and other herds before and it's not the same "flavor" as fresh. They sell chives in the store and there just kept cool and they seem to be flavorful enough, so maybe there's something to it??. Anyway I'm going to get a rototiller this spring and put in a veg/herd/pepper garden.
Been wanting to do it for awhile anyway.
I look forward to seeing your work pay off....

👍 😎
  • Petal, Horse Badorties and Afton like this

#5 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:51 AM

Agreed fresh is always better, I've had "dried" chives and other herds before and it's not the same "flavor" as fresh. They sell chives in the store and there just kept cool and they seem to be flavorful enough, so maybe there's something to it??. Anyway I'm going to get a rototiller this spring and put in a veg/herd/pepper garden.
Been wanting to do it for awhile anyway.
I look forward to seeing your work pay off....

👍 😎

I've found that home dried herbs from your garden are much better than store bought herbs. I've dried chillies, oregano and thyme and they're really good - hardly compares to store ones.

I've also made pesto with fresh Thyme, Parsley and Oregano which I freeze and defrost when I want to use them - just keep a layer of oil on top to stop oxidising.

Good to hear you are going to do a vege / herb / pepper garden - very rewarding :)

Thanks DJ

• Doublej, Horse Badorties, Afton and 1 other like this

#6 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

Dried oregano, stripped the leaves from the stem then crumble to small pieces

med_gallery_228_869_243699.jpg

med_gallery_228_869_164281.jpg

Drying Parsley

med_gallery_228_869_146330.jpg

• Horse Badorties, Afton and no1 like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.