♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

3 x 13amps=  39 x 240volts = 9360 watts

or would it be 13amp max cus our household electric system is 13amps max so >

13 x 240 = 3120 watts ?

Household outlets are single phase so it's 3,120 Watts per plug :)

• jimmi2scoops and Horse Badorties like this

#12 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

Good shout, @Elevator dude, and it fits with @Forest's idea of it perhaps being an inverter, like in a UPS  :)

But if it is something along those lines then I'd have thought it'd only be usable intermittently as the batteries would have to recharge.

• jimmi2scoops, Elevator dude and Horse Badorties like this

#13 jimmi2scoops

jimmi2scoops

In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Administrators
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Household outlets are single phase so it's 3,120 Watts per plug :)

If he was plugging all 3 in to get 9000+watts into seperate plugs but lets say its on same loupe to main fuse box, do you think it would just keep tripping that fuse on main board or not ? I know ive had the fuse on main board for kitchen triopping more than once running alot less than 3000watts usually when lights were firing up.

• duke, Elevator dude and Horse Badorties like this

#14 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:26 PM

If he was plugging all 3 in to get 9000+watts into seperate plugs but lets say its on same loupe to main fuse box, do you think it would just keep tripping that fuse on main board or not ? I know ive had the fuse on main board for kitchen triopping more than once running alot less than 3000watts usually when lights were firing up.

It'd trip the breaker at the board - They're generally 32 Amps :)

But 3 x 13 isn't nearly as much as the 3 x 32 that they're claiming anyway ;)

• jimmi2scoops, duke, Elevator dude and 1 other like this

#15 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

Good shout, @Elevator dude, and it fits with @Forest's idea of it perhaps being an inverter, like in a UPS :)

But if it is something along those lines then I'd have thought it'd only be usable intermittently as the batteries would have to recharge.

Unless the charge rate exceeded the discharge rate. Either way ohms law still rules here. You can increase the amps all you want but the pull at the wall is going to be the same.
  • jimmi2scoops, duke and Horse Badorties like this

#16 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

I mean the bill at the wall will be the same.
  • jimmi2scoops, duke, bigbadbillybob and 1 other like this

#17 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

Unless the charge rate exceeded the discharge rate. Either way ohms law still rules here. You can increase the amps all you want but the pull at the wall is going to be the same.

Yeah, but this thing is being advertised as 13 Amps input to 3 x 32 Amps out and as you say, Ohm's law - The only way that I can see it being continuous is if they drop the output Voltage to around 32 Volts.

eta: It's a 240 Volt dfevice, just in case you're thinking 120 V :)

• jimmi2scoops, duke, Elevator dude and 1 other like this

#18 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:36 PM

Nope I'm thinking it can output whatever voltage it wants it's just going to drain the battery faster. Maybe the battery is big enough to run a 12 hour light cycle with constant charging and recharges to full during the 12 off.
  • duke and Horse Badorties like this

#19 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:52 PM

Nope I'm thinking it can output whatever voltage it wants it's just going to drain the battery faster. Maybe the battery is big enough to run a 12 hour light cycle with constant charging and recharges to full during the 12 off.

Yeah, that's what I meant - It'd have to be intermittent, not continuous :)

Back of the envelope... 96 Amps out from 13 Amps in would require 96 / 13 = about 7.5 hours of charging for one hour of output assuming the Voltage stays the same, with some fiddling to account for the hour of concurrent charging during the hour of output, plus losses, etc.

Unless I'm missing something :unsure:

I'm not saying that it isn't some sort of battery/inverter thing but it all seems a bit shady to me, with no specs or instructions available, and simply the statement that it turns 1 x 13 Amp input into 3 x 32 Amp outputs.

And if the output Voltage isn't the same as the input then I'm left wondering, what's the point? Unless, perhaps, it's the PSU for some special dedicated system or something, or maybe an appliance that only needs power for 15% of the time. Perhaps the 32 Amps is surge and the continuous rating is lower?

Too many questions and not enough answers.

• jimmi2scoops, duke, KiefKat and 2 others like this

#20 Elevator dude

Elevator dude

Hail the Apocalypse

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:00 AM

oh i think its shady as fuck mainly due to the fact i work with industrial machinery and if something like this existed it wouldnt be exclusive to the horticultural industry it would be everywhere.

i have seen all types of wonky transformers, line filters, massive back up batteries that power city blocks of federal buildings, drives that change 240ac to three phase dc that replicates a sinusoidal ac wave and tons of shit i cant begin to explain because sometimes im ok with it just works i dont need to understand how but i have never seen anything that reduces the kw/h from the wall. i mean you can get into power factor and regen units for elevators as an example but thats not really applicable to the topic at hand.

1 x 13 to 3 x 32 doesnt bother me as much as the claim that it reduces your bill, a kw/h is a kw/h regardless of how many amps you use to get it. an example of this is a motor generator set, you are taking ac to turn a motor thats generating dc, completely divorcing the input and output voltages and current for that matter.
  • jimmi2scoops, duke, KiefKat and 2 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.