Photo
- - - - -

Decarboxylation

Best Answer duke , 04 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

So ive beden thinking and yes it gives me headache thinking too much. But question is so instead of decarbing bud in oven which ive aslways done to make tinctures, well does it really matter decarbing meaning > i cook my my tinctures up in jars in a bowl of water in my slow cooker and temnps are generally running at 125f , so i slow cook this over 3 days with 3 hot and cold cycles during those 3 days, but around 48 hours in the slow cooker at 125f during that process. So basically won`t it decarb itself during that process running. I mean i know you decarb sous-verde or ban marie style at right temps for longer periods than you would do in an oven, so why is their anything  different. What`s your thoughts guys ? I do same making butter too, but decarbing in oven man its a right faff around and it stinks street out too.

Another question so running it 48 hours at 125f isn`t too much is it, i mean so long as temps are low enough then cannabinoids or thc won`t cook off will they ? My thinking is here is why would it so a nice slow cook is gonna sort jobby out good style, i mean butter ive made in past this way really smashes me up when i make cookies, so yes thoughts guys please.

Cheers guys :D

hi jimmi 110c is ideal hotter losses some goodies so your process is fine if you just lower temps to 110c and that cook time is plenty to fully decarb. 3 hours is usual decarb time when making my oil much more than that is pointless for oil but tbh im not sure re butter maybe longer is better but at lower temps?if you overdo heat some thc degrades to cbn a more narcotic cannabinoid good for sleepytime oil,good luck

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2scoops

2scoops

In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:15 PM

So anyone instead of decarbing bud in oven which ive always done to make tinctures, well does it really matter decarbing that way, meaning > i cook my my tinctures up in jars which are in a put in a bowl of water in my slow cooker and temps are generally running at 125f , so i slow cook this over 3 days with 3 or 4 hot and cold cycles during those 3 days, but around 48 hours in the slow cooker at 125f during that process. So basically won`t it decarb itself during that process running. I mean i know you can decarb with a sous-vide or do it ban marie style at right temps for longer periods than you would do in an oven, so yes wont the way i cook weed up to make vg tincture at 125f do job without the need for the decarb in oven firstly.  What`s your thoughts guys ? I do same making butter too, but decarbing in oven man its a right faff around and it stinks street out too.

Another question so running it 48 hours at 125f well that`s not too much is it, so long as temps are low enough then cannabinoids or thc won`t cook off will they ?  So yes thoughts guys please.

Cheers  :D

• duke, Zipp, gingerb and 3 others like this

#2 Spaceman

Spaceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

My wife made some rice crispie cakes with just heating the weed when she made butter. It didn't go inthe oven. Had 2 reports of people chucking a whitey, so it still worked. 6 hours cooking

• 2scoops, duke, Zipp and 3 others like this

#3 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:38 PM   Best Answer

So ive beden thinking and yes it gives me headache thinking too much. But question is so instead of decarbing bud in oven which ive aslways done to make tinctures, well does it really matter decarbing meaning > i cook my my tinctures up in jars in a bowl of water in my slow cooker and temnps are generally running at 125f , so i slow cook this over 3 days with 3 hot and cold cycles during those 3 days, but around 48 hours in the slow cooker at 125f during that process. So basically won`t it decarb itself during that process running. I mean i know you decarb sous-verde or ban marie style at right temps for longer periods than you would do in an oven, so why is their anything  different. What`s your thoughts guys ? I do same making butter too, but decarbing in oven man its a right faff around and it stinks street out too.

Another question so running it 48 hours at 125f isn`t too much is it, i mean so long as temps are low enough then cannabinoids or thc won`t cook off will they ? My thinking is here is why would it so a nice slow cook is gonna sort jobby out good style, i mean butter ive made in past this way really smashes me up when i make cookies, so yes thoughts guys please.

Cheers guys :D

hi jimmi 110c is ideal hotter losses some goodies so your process is fine if you just lower temps to 110c and that cook time is plenty to fully decarb. 3 hours is usual decarb time when making my oil much more than that is pointless for oil but tbh im not sure re butter maybe longer is better but at lower temps?if you overdo heat some thc degrades to cbn a more narcotic cannabinoid good for sleepytime oil,good luck

• 2scoops, Horse Badorties, Afton and 1 other like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:54 PM

My wife made some rice crispie cakes with just heating the weed when she made butter. It didn't go inthe oven. Had 2 reports of people chucking a whitey, so it still worked. 6 hours cooking

Yes ive done it many times in past without decarbing to get my blood clot well and truly turned off wrecked, tbh its only last few years ive started doing it, but i do it mainly to activate all rest of cannabinoids and such like and theirs plenty to go at in that list. But for life of me i can`t see why im not doing the decarb whilst on with the cooking process to make tinctures or butter in slow cooker, In fact i`m sure ive no need to decarb in doing what ive said cus its all done as like i said , well im near as dam it sure, i just wanted som,e other opinions on it all.

As Tweaky would say "beedeebeedeebee" (cheers Spaceman)

• Horse Badorties, Afton and Spaceman like this

#5 2scoops

2scoops

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:57 PM

Sounds good to me does that duke so basically i`ll just wang cooker on low.

Why do you decarb RSO similar way and cut out the oven process ?

Cheers mate. :)

• duke, Horse Badorties, Afton and 1 other like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Sounds good to me does that duke so basically i`ll just wang cooker on low.

Why do you decarb RSO similar way and cut out the oven process ?

Cheers mate. :)

my oil is run through the condenser and by the time its run it is mostly decarbed and i leave it in the ban marie oil for an hour or so as it cooling its done by then saves faffing about stinking the street out doing weed in oven,peace

• 2scoops, Horse Badorties, Afton and 1 other like this

#7 2scoops

2scoops

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

my oil is run through the condenser and by the time its run it is mostly decarbed and i leave it in the ban marie oil for an hour or so as it cooling its done by then saves faffing about stinking the street out doing weed in oven,peace

Yes that`s a big problem too, it stinks street out big time and its a busy place round here, same as making butter does, i`m gonna do a butter run and just stick it in slow cooker for a few days in grow room at weekend before i clean room out properly and plant some more. But yes nice one cus im all for less faffing around, cheers :)

I have recently been looking at the soux-vide slow cookers on ebay i know you can decarb using those and no stinks, so i was gonna start decarbing weed that way, to bang on as you can i reckon, basically just sling your vac packed dried crushed up bud into the water or oil bath at said temp, for i think i seem to remember 16 hours, but im prolly tripping with that bit as usual. But yes for ways i cook it up in slow cooker and temps used, i just can`t see why bud doesn`t decarb at temps it gets cooked at which generally is around 125f, sweet as mate, prolly saved some cash now, but yes will run on low instead of medium :)

• duke, gingerb, Horse Badorties and 2 others like this

#8 Afton

Afton

OLD GUYS RULE!

• Moderators
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:02 PM

I will decarb at 240F to 35-40 minutes if I want to get really smashed, but if you're looking for pain

relief then don't decarb and you will then get more of a body high and not a head high.

I use the magic butter machine and it only take 2 hours to make.

• 2scoops, duke, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#9 2scoops

2scoops

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

Yes i get why higher will smash you up more and be a bit more heavy, i do like that tbh, mind you its mostly pain relief and a bit of fun so i think i`ll do a lower decarb later tonight and sling it in the slow cooker. Cheers @Afton.

#10 2scoops

2scoops

• Administrators
  • 18,268 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:58 PM

Just realised @duke i was talking temps in F and not C so i should be good cooking it up on high, cheers. :)

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.