#1 Mr. Don Keidik

Mr. Don Keidik

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey there,
So i was planning to buy some alcohol to make a tincture or oil, and about a year ago the fuckers passed a law that raised the alcohol prices, sometimes by 400% !!
So now the cheapest i could find of a 96%, 750ml bottle is 110 nis which is about 30 usd,
Once it used to be 30 nis (8 usd) just for refference.

Anyway - i thought i remembered that ive seen once that its quite easy to make that at home,
Does anybody knows anything ?
  • duke likes this

#2 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

You thought about isopropyl 99% pure alchohol, or is that your on about price wise, not sure on prices in your neck of the woods with it, but it`s cheap here in the UK and all i use, we can`t really get high proof drinking alcohol our way in the uk.

• duke and spoongotlost like this

#3 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

You can ferment up to about 20% ABV, but after that distillation is required.

This is not an especially safe thing to do, but is possible with care and the proper equipment.
  • duke likes this

#4 Mr. Don Keidik

Mr. Don Keidik

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

jimmi mate - a year or two ago - the goverment raised the tax on alcohol, in some cases the prices jumped by 400%, pure alcohol is one of them i guess - it used to cost aroun 30 shekels for a 750ml bottle (96% 190proof), and now its 110 AT THE LEAST.

anyway

i assume distillation equipment is not cheap, and not really 'home-madeable' without the proper tools, right ?

i mean - building a simmering pot, and attach to it all the lids and the tubing, is not something you can carve out of a piece of wood, 

so basically - home distillation just wont be possible, right ?

or maybe is it possible to use a pressure cooker somehow to collect steam ?
well lets see.

im gonna need some stainless metal pipe, and some way to attach it to the 'out-of-shape' hole which lets go the steam, which is not gonna be easy...

than all the rest is basically not a problem i think, let me know if im missing something - 

-some corn or vegetable to make the alcohol from,

-sugar

-yeast

-water

and thats it aint it ?

anybody got any ideas ?

#5 WanderinBloke

WanderinBloke

They see me wibblin'

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Dude, the ISO alcohol jimmi mentions isn't drinking alcohol so it's not likely to have the same tax applied to it.

Look for isopropyl alcohol 99.9% - It should be relatively cheap.

#6 Mr. Don Keidik

Mr. Don Keidik

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

well here is something i have just seen on youtube - 

a dude was taking just a regular pot, with its lid,

now where the lid handle used to be he attached a copper pipe from the hole that housed the screw which held the lid's handle,

sealed it probably somehow, gonna be easy enough since the hole is a perfect circle,

now he used some heavy duty rubber bands to hold the lid tight on the pot, and inside the pot came wine or something.

now this is kinda ameatur, and its in hebrew but anyway for thoes who want - 

so he took an empty wine bottle and placed it in a pot full of ice water,

and inside that bottle, came the copper tube, meant to collect the alcohol steam.

im not so sure its gonna get cooled quickly enough, but it will probably work on some level at least.

the only problem i see with the method is that you have no way of checking your temperature, and its not i good thing i gather.

you would want to keep it at 78 celcius, so...

here is our problem,

now we need solutions.

#7 Mr. Don Keidik

Mr. Don Keidik

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Dude, the ISO alcohol jimmi mentions isn't drinking alcohol so it's not likely to have the same tax applied to it.

Look for isopropyl alcohol 99.9% - It should be relatively cheap.

say mate - 

what are the differences in an oil made of 96% ethanol - vs. - 99% iso ?

also - isnt iso toxic ?

#8 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

Looks like a big BOOM in waiting if you not very careful m8, good extraction especially called for if making indoors.

#9 WanderinBloke

WanderinBloke

They see me wibblin'

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

say mate - 

what are the differences in an oil made of 96% ethanol - vs. - 99% iso ?

also - isnt iso toxic ?

With 99.9% the .1% is water, same with 96% ethanol. But yes, iso is toxic. I make my oil using it, as does jimmi and most others on here.

• 2scoops likes this

#10 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

With 99.9% the .1% is water, same with 96% ethanol. But yes, iso is toxic. I make my oil using it, as does jimmi and most others on here.

And most that make it in the UK use iso i would think, we can`t get pure drinking alcohol no were near that strength. Duke is your man and can explain why it`s pretty harmless once evaporated.

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.