• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

hi all i have for some time now been preparing some plants for another crack at the grafting project i previously had to abandon when we got reported for growing in my greenhouse and in the panic of moving stuff about i dropped a wheelchair battery on it!this was after 3 months work getting 2 strains grafted and growing,

so i now know it is entirely possible grafting different strains to one mother plant rootstock but the grafting to branches ends up with a big long stemmed plant and not practical to keep in a little veg cab and keep it healthy and small.

so with this in mind i have started a reveg of a dark delight by dutch passion my choice was made for rootstock months ago and so the plant has been carefully managed to ensure some good healthy foliage on the lowest portions of the main stem so before chopping i had switched the lights back to 18-6 for 10 days to help initiate reveg quicker,

so at the moment i have a rootstock with a healthy stem of dark delight the plan is now to graft 1 at a time around the whole trunk a scion (the part your grafting) of dinafem og kush,barneys farm vanilla kush (my fave) dinafem critical+ maybe a bit fast growing though?

and barneys farm tangerine dream so the plan is a bonsai style mother plant with my 5 favorite strains on one plant! a scenario that must be any serious smokers dream and i have in my 35 years growing bonsai trees and fruit trees had good rate of graftings taking and coming to fruition and i see no reason this should not work so tonight i will add the start of some pics and will try to show the whole project step by step for anyone interested.peace

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 7 others like this

#2 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

interesting m8 subbed in 

• duke, Bubonik Chronic, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#3 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've heard of it done many time with various plants including Cana so il be on board with this m8 :)
  • Budgie, duke, Bubonik Chronic and 2 others like this

#4 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Yeah man Ill sub up for a bit of backstreet surgery action.best of luck Duke.
  • duke, Dutchy and Viz like this

#5 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Just putting this out there @duke,

would it be possible to take a well developed rootball/stem, make a cross cut in the top and splice in 4 cuts at once?

and Is it better to use a vegging phase rootball/grafting mother.?

• duke, Dutchy and Viz like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

Just putting this out there @duke,

would it be possible to take a well developed rootball/stem, make a cross cut in the top and splice in 4 cuts at once?

and Is it better to use a vegging phase rootball/grafting mother.?

hi budgie the way we do it for bonsai is similar idea but instead of cutting of the scion you just plant it along side your chosen rootstock and strip a layer of longways down the trunk and the same on the scion then just use elastic bands and grafting wax along the join then your near guaranteed it will take as its still being fed by its roots and once it has taken well you can then carefully remove the roots of the scion,more than 1 at a time is much harder than you think esp with shaky paws like mine are now,a few years back i did a mixed maple bonsai 7 different acer vars on a single rootstock it was interesting but tbh i thought it looked ridiculous but it did win a show.heres the rootstock and some of the planned scion donors just waiting for correct time to start which imo is once back to full veg mode with all normal palmate leaves,you can also graft roots on to a portion of stem and create a large bonsai very quickly and ive seen some grafted around big dead stumps and sold as 100s of year old trees!

Attached Files

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 2 others like this

#7 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

How are things progressing @duke. Has she revegged enough to start yet?

• duke, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#8 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

This is going to be really interesting to follow Duke  :)

• duke, Dex and Viz like this

#9 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

How are things progressing @duke. Has she revegged enough to start yet?

not yet as she has been rootpruned and gone into a bonsai pot which will slow recovery quite a lot but if its to survive as a bonsai the root pruning is crucial and will happen regularly maybe every 2-3 months so if she survives the bonsai repot and grows i shall continue,if not i have a 2nd in reserve!

maybe another couple of weeks yet before the fun starts and hopefully it will be alive and a little warmer weather would help under 97w cfl and temps barely above 20 a bit chilly,peace

• Budgie, Dekay, Dex and 2 others like this

#10 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

heres what the dark delight rootstock looks like now after taking a garden saw to about 2/3rds of the rootball and potting into a small bonsai pot and back under 18-6 light and light feed of veg nutes followed by a foliar feed as due to pruning the roots atm will be slow on the uptake so a foliar will bridge the gap till and if roots recover in maybe a fortnight i shall add the first scion with any luck,if i aint killed it allready!peace

Attached Files

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grafting, multi strain, mother plant, bonsai, with farty bits

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.