Photo
- - - - -

Why does an LED only draw half the power of an HID

LED power consumption

Best Answer Anonymiss , 02 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Why does an LED only draw half the power/wattage of an HID?

ie, a 300w LED, is equivalent to a 600w HID in output but not power useage?

It's because (some) LEDs produce more lumens per Watt than HID lamps, so the 300 Watts consumed by (some) LEDs will produce more light than 300 Watts of HID.

ETA: It's the same as HPS producing more light-per-Watt than fluorescent (which is also often around double/half).

For well made/specced LED's It's simple,

because LED's (or rather S(uper)LED's as that is what they are) work by switching on and off at a fast rate (too fast for the human eye to recognise)

Therefore, they only use half as much power because they are only actually 'ON' in the powered sense for half the time.

This isn't really the answer, but it does explain the marketing-speak ;)

If the LEDs are only on for half of the time then they are producing only half of the output that they are capable of ;)

It's like saying that a 100 Watt lamp on a dimmer switch is actually only a 50 Watt lamp when it's turned down to 50%. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

I had a conversation with a guy over at Barcelona LED who told me that if an LED is advertised as being a 600W panel with a 320W draw it means that the potential draw of the bulbs in total is 600W but they would burn out in minutes running at full whack so they are toned down to 320W to improve the lifespan. It makes sense really. You try sprinting a marathon and you're gonna get burnt out fast too lol
  • Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 1 other like this

#12 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

I had a conversation with a guy over at Barcelona LED who told me that if an LED is advertised as being a 600W panel with a 320W draw it means that the potential draw of the bulbs in total is 600W but they would burn out in minutes running at full whack so they are toned down to 320W to improve the lifespan. It makes sense really. You try sprinting a marathon and you're gonna get burnt out fast too lol

That sounds like marketing-speak to me.

Reputable LED manufacturers, such as Philips, Cree, OSRAM, etc. (i.e. those that make the devices, not the assembled units) quote sustainable power usage figures, not extreme overload cases that last "minutes".

Advertisers would probably happily describe a 120 Volt, 50 Watt lamp as being 100 Watts at 240 Volts if they thought it would sell more of them, but they'd add something like "we only run them at 50% because they blow really fast otherwise" ;)

ETA: What did he say about comparsion with HID, which is what the initial question is really about? ("Why is 300 Watts of LED the same as 600 Watts of HID?")
  • Budgie, Dekay, duke and 2 others like this

#13 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'll ask him
  • Paulie likes this

#14 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

I think we already know the answer...

LEDs are simply more efficient at turning electricity into visible light than HIDs are :)
  • Budgie, Dekay, marque08 and 2 others like this

#15 fairy

fairy

NFT

• Respected User
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

frys my head it does all this.....

• Budgie, 2scoops, weedtroll and 1 other like this

#16 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

Still, I very much doubt any LED panel running @ 300W could come remotely close to 600w HID.

I assume the spectrum would have to be godly for that.

I don't understand it all either, but I go on the actual power draw and how much weed I can get out of that.

I don't know about the really expensive panels, but it seems that with the more affordable ones, you have to pretty much match the power draw with what you're used to.

Maybe you can use 50W less and still get the same result, but I wouldn't expect the spectrum to make up for 300W of power.

Like I say though, I'm as clued up as the rest of ya, bar Missy of course :)

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 3 others like this

#17 Vador

Vador

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

So my 600w vipar has 5w led's,
There are 120 of them so that gives you a grand to total of 600w of led
The vipar actually draws 320w so it works out each led is getting 2.6w, nearly half the power of what it's capable of,
Life over power
  • fairy and Sprink like this

#18 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

So my 600w vipar has 5w led's,
There are 120 of them so that gives you a grand to total of 600w of led
The vipar actually draws 320w so it works out each led is getting 2.6w, nearly half the power of what it's capable of,
Life over power

If it uses 320 Watts, it's a 320 Watt unit.

I have a lamp dimmer here that uses a 6 Amp triac, but the rest of the circuitry can only handle 3 Amps.

Does the fact that it has a 6 Amp triac make it a 6 Amp dimmer? No, because as a unit it's capable of only 3 Amps.

It seems to me that saying it has '600 Watts of LEDs' is completely pointless, and only serves to generate confusion amongst buyers.

* wonders why they bother to tell people this rubbish in the first place *

Yeah, I know... It's to make their products sound Bigger And Better than the 'competition'...
  • Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 2 others like this

#19 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

Mehh, when I see companies advertise like that its a good signal to stay away.

• fairy and Sprink like this

#20 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Well, the panel I just got is labelled 900W. Obviously because I've been using LED a while now, I knew it only uses 400-450W, therefore I wouldn't expect it to match a 600W HPS.

Actually, in the description, it says that it more than matches a 450W HID. This sounds much more like it, maybe even a tad under-stated, maybe.

If you read the desciption and all the specs, you should have a decent idea of what you're buying. Then it's down to spectrum & quality of product.

If it doesn't have all the information available, don't buy.

LED is a great tehnology, but it's not a miracle. You still need to use proper wattage imo.

Still I have no idea what things like nm & view angle mean :)

• Budgie, Dekay, revert and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LED, power, consumption

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.